Script

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
Wat i wanna do is have a folder wer all my downloads go but i dont want them all in there at once i want to b able to see new ones. So i created a sub folder called Archives. So wat i want to happen is when i download a file it goes to the downloads folder then after a day it goes to the archives. how can i make this possible? Scripts?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
Yes, a script. Sounds like you have bit a learning to do.

You would have the script run once a day and it would look for files older than the day the script is running and move those files to another folder. You could even get fancy and move different file types to different destinations.

You could try Automator to see if it can do this. Searching the net may come up with exactly what you want since this doesn't seem like a unique idea.

OP
J
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
ibook G4 14" 1.42 GHz PowerPC G4 1GB DDR SDRAM/1st Gen 4GB Nano/2nd Gen 8GB Nano
so u dont no how to write the script?
or does anyone?
or wat would i type in on google?
as u can c i dont no at all anything about writing scripts

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid
so u dont no how to write the script?
or does anyone?

Yes, I could write a script using several scripting languages.

or wat would i type in on google?

Words such as; automator move old file to other folder
OR; applescript copy day old file to another folder

Here is one of the findings.

as u can c i dont no at all anything about writing scripts

I understand that, but this doesn't interest me enough to write a script for you for free.

I can't help but think this can be found on one of the scripting sites; macscripter.net, Automator World, Automator in Leopard which has an introductory video on the right column.

Although I'm pointing you in the direction of Automator, I'm not sure it can handle the date issue. One of those sites may have a solution or you may have to go lower to something like Applescript, PHP, Perl, bash, etc.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.