Trying to use Time Machine with WD Passport

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to the forum and I've been searching different threads, but I can't seem to find the solution to my problem.

i am running on leopard with a mac book pro. i recently purchased the western digital my passport elite for an external hardrive. when entering time machine, i get an error message that says, "reformat required".

How do I reformat so that I am able to use my passport external hard drive with time machine? any help would be greatly appreciated.
:Confused:

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
If you Right Click on the icon of the Passport and on Get Info, what does it say it is? FAT32? NTFS? I am pretty sure the drive has to be Mac OSX Extended (Journalized) for use with Time Machine. I use a Passport all the time with TM and it works great. It's formatted Mac OSX Extended.

OP
M
Reaction score
If you Right Click on the icon of the Passport and on Get Info, what does it say it is? FAT32? NTFS? I am pretty sure the drive has to be Mac OSX Extended (Journalized) for use with Time Machine. I use a Passport all the time with TM and it works great. It's formatter Mac OSX Extended.

hi there,
it says MS-DOS (FAT-32)

how do get the drive to be mac osx extended? is there a download or do i need to erase and restore?

thanks for your help

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
Open Applications. Then Utilities and open the Disk Utility. Click on that drive in Disk Utility and the Erase Tab. Select Mac OSX Extended (Journalized).

If you get lost be sure to let us know. Glad to help!

Do remember if you erase the drive with a new filesystem, everything on it right now will be history. Sure you know that but just being safe!

OP
M
Reaction score
Open Applications. Then Utilities and open the Disk Utility. Click on that drive in Disk Utility and the Erase Tab. Select Mac OSX Extended (Journalized).

If you get lost be sure to let us know. Glad to help!

Do remember if you erase the drive with a new filesystem, everything on it right now will be history. Sure you know that but just being safe!

OMG, worked like a charm! thank you, thank you, thank you!:D :D :D

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.