New HD, trying to install Panther

Reaction score
I recently installed a new 160gb hard drive on my mac mini.

I have the Black install Panther discs.

When the folder with the question mark comes up, I put the disc in the drive. Then it goes to the grey screen with the Apple, and then a circle with a slash through it replaces the apple and everything stops.

What's going on here? Is the drive bad? Please help!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Put the black install Disk 1 into the drive and then reboot, holding down the C key immediately. Keep holding it until the splash screen from the install disk appears - you'll recognise it.

OP
T
Reaction score
Yeah, I did that. Now the apple just kind of offsets and nothing happens.

Is the hard drive bad?

I have 3 install discs, I'm using the first one.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Tell us where you bought the new hard drive, what brand, and whatever other info you can provide. I suspect it's formatted NTFS (Win) already, hence MacOS installation won't work.

OP
T
Reaction score
I got it from BUY.com.

It's a 160GB 5400rpm 8mb cache ultra ATA/100 Seagate.

ST9160821A is the part number.

When I start it up with the disc in, holding c, the apple offsets slightly and then the optical drive winds down, and nothing happens.

I put the old drive back in annd it works. The install disc is readable too.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
You appear to have struck unlucky with the new hard drive. Buying it online is almost certain to mean it's formatted NTFS. If possible, take it to your nearest Mac centre, where they have all the necessary hardware etc, and have it formatted HFS+, that's all. It shouldn't cost a lot. Once the right formatting is done, it should accept the MacOS.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
I'm confused. The CD should boot up, regardless of what the hard drive is like. Once you're there you can then format and partition it, whatever format it's currently in.

Tell us about these black Panther CDs. Were they the ones that came with the Mini in the first place.

You have an older G4 Mac Mini right?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
I'm confused. The CD should boot up, regardless of what the hard drive is like. Once you're there you can then format and partition it, whatever format it's currently in.

Tell us about these black Panther CDs. Were they the ones that came with the Mini in the first place.

You have an older G4 Mac Mini right?

Agreed. This has nothing to do with the hard drive and everything to do with the boot DVD.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.