Difficulty working with Microsoft for Mac with my new Mini

Reaction score
A few months ago I bought a new Mac Mini. After the purchase I used firewire to transfer my hard drive from my iBook G4. From the beginning I’ve had problems working with Microsoft Word for Mac. Here are the symptoms.

1. Periodically the word processor “locks up” and will accept no key imputs. The only way to solve this is to use the mouse to go to the File Menu to save the document. After that it goes back to working properly.

2. Often when working with a Word document I have difficulty saving it. E.g. if I try to save the document to a folder on my hard drive, I will get this prompt: “Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one or more of the following: *Free more memory. *Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged.” I can, however save the document to the desktop with no problem. My HD is no where near being even half full.

3. Once the document is saved to the desktop, if I try to drag it to the folder on the HD, I get a prompt saying that I have to authenticate it. And I have to type in my administrator password.

4. If I try to rename a Word document that is in a folder, I get the prompt that I don’t have sufficient access privileges to rename the document. If I move the document to the desktop I can rename it without problems.

5. If I want to move a document from the folder on my HD, once again, I have to authenticate that by typing in my administrator password. I can drag Word documents from the desk top to the trash without problems.

When I set up my new Mac Mini, I slightly changed my administrator password from what it was on the iBook. I wonder if this might be the/a source of the problem. If so, what can I do about it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

OP
R
Reaction score
Having trouble with MS Word on my new Mac mini

A few months ago I bought a new Mac Mini. After the purchase I used firewire to transfer my hard drive from my iBook G4. From the beginning I’ve had problems working with Microsoft Word for Mac. Here are the symptoms.

1. Periodically the word processor “locks up” and will accept no key imputs. The only way to solve this is to use the mouse to go to the File Menu to save the document. After that it goes back to working properly.

2. Often when working with a Word document I have difficulty saving it. E.g. if I try to save the document to a folder on my hard drive, I will get this prompt: “Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one or more of the following: *Free more memory. *Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write-protected, or damaged.” I can, however save the document to the desktop with no problem.

3. Once the document is saved to the desktop, if I try to drag it to the folder on the HD, I get a prompt saying that I have to authenticate it. And I have to type in my administrator password.

4. If I try to rename a Word document that is in a folder, I get the prompt that I don’t have sufficient access privileges to rename the document. If I move the document to the desktop I can rename it without problems.

5. If I want to move a document from the folder on my HD, once again, I have to authenticate that by typing in my administrator password. I can drag Word documents from the desk top to the trash without problems.

When I set up the new Mac Mini, I slightly changed my administrator password from what it was on the iBook. I wonder if this might be the/a source of the problem. If so, what can I do about it.

Thanks for any help anyone can give!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
Firstly, how much free space do you have on the hard drive

Secondly, the permissions issue, try downloading MainMenu and running a permissions repair (you can also do this with Disk Utility, but MainMenu does more)

Santa Software | MainMenu

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
After the purchase I used firewire to transfer my hard drive from my iBook G4. From the beginning I’ve had problems working with Microsoft Word for Mac.

There's your problem. Just uninstall it and reinstall from the CD.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
***Combined Duplicate Threads***

Please do not post the same thread over and over.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.