Flip 3D functionality for Mac. . . Alternative to Expose

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
New iMac 20" Leopard vs. 10.5.7
Hi guys!

Does anyone know of some software that would "mimic" the Flip 3D function on Vista for Mac OS X? I know Expose does a similar thing, but as an alternative, is there an app out there for Mac (leopard) that gives a Flip 3D Function?

Thanks.;D

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Haha! I'm doing all of this to help my daughter settle in to using Mac. She's used to using Vista you see. She says she loves Mac, but these little simple things help her to use it easier.

Plus, I don't want to have to fork out more money on buying new OS's.

Thanks Devilboy

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I doubt you'll find something like that. Flip3D is almost universally heralded as one of the most useless features in Vista, regarded mostly as eye candy. You are correct that Expose performs the same function, although it does it in a more useful way (i.e. instead of just seeing the foremost application, one can see ALL applications simultaneously). I think the better bet would be to just explain this to her.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you cwa107. I think your right, although she's quite young and still prefers what she's used to using. I'll try my best to just get her to use what she's provided with, but if someone still does know of any app that could do this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thank you cwa107. I think your right, although she's quite young and still prefers what she's used to using. I'll try my best to just get her to use what she's provided with, but if someone still does know of any app that could do this, it'd be greatly appreciated.

Well, considering that Vista came out in January of 2007, she hasn't been using it all that long. Shouldn't be a hard habit to break.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
Well, that explanation helps a bit.

Personally, I would advise against that course of action.
From my experiences with teaching others how to use OS X or Macs in general, I have found that the best thing to do is to have the person forget about their older OS completely.

Don't mention it, don't compare it, don't try to make the new OS work like the old one... period.
Doing so actually makes it harder for someone to learn the new way of doing things, since you are only providing them with an industrial-sized crutch.
You really aren't teaching them how to use the new OS at all if you work so hard to make it operate like the old OS.

The OS's are different. They can do many of the same things, but there is just a different way of achieving those goals.
Focus on the new way to do something, rather than attempt to make it work like something it wasn't intended to be.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Yeah I suppose so. It's just that she uses it at school. They have Vista there, and when she goes round to relatives' homes, they all seem to have Vista as well. She uses it allot.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Well, that explanation helps a bit.

Personally, I would advise against that course of action.
From my experiences with teaching others how to use OS X or Macs in general, I have found that the best thing to do is to have the person forget about their older OS completely.

Don't mention it, don't compare it, don't try to make the new OS work like the old one... period.
Doing so actually makes it harder for someone to learn the new way of doing things, since you are only providing them with an industrial-sized crutch.
You really aren't teaching them how to use the new OS at all if you work so hard to make it operate like the old OS.

The OS's are different. They can do many of the same things, but there is just a different way of achieving those goals.
Focus on the new way to do something, rather than attempt to make it work like something it wasn't intended to be.

Yes Devilboy, but how do I explain that to her for her to understand and for her to accept it without buying Vista.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
I've found something that KINDA does the job. If you hold down the Ctrl+Expose keys (with many open windows of course) then repetitively hit the 'tab' key until you find your desired window, it kind of gives you a similar(ish) feature when comparing with Flip 3D. It sort of look more cool than just pressing Expose and choosing a window though.

You probably all knew these shortcuts and use them regularly, but I didn't and now my daughter is happy. . . well, as happy as she'll probably get anyway.

Mind you, I am planning to purchase a Vista Home Basic install disk to use with Boot Camp in the near future. I only just decided that: I was looking at the price online, and boy was I surprised!

Regards.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Vista Home Basic does NOT have Flip3D, which is part of the Aero interface. You'll need Home Premium or better for that.

OP
M
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks cwa107. Problem with Microsoft is that their Home Premium and/or Ultimate install disks are a tad bit expensive considering that I am not necessarily after one myself. In these terms, I might as well just try and get her going with Leopard.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.