Problem connecting at public hotspots

Reaction score
I am using a one earlier than the newest model macbook pro. I have a strange and frustrating problem. I have no problem connecting to most wireless networks. At home where I use my computer 95% of the time I connect through a standard d-link router with a wep key, etc. I take my computer to other people's houses, never have any problems.

However, I am traveling now and have run into this same problem before, I thought it was the particular network before, but now I realize the problem must be on my end.

In two airports yesterday that had free wireless, I was unable to get online. I connect and my computer gets a 169.xxx ip and says self assigned ip. Same exact thing happening now in hotel. (I am on through a tether to an iphone right now). In the same airport and hotel, the person traveling with me is online and surfing perfectly with a newest model macbook, so I know there is something going wrong on my end, and its extremely frustrating.

Any ideas? I tried searching for similar questions but could not find anything.

thanks for any help

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.