SLOW as MOLASSES...beachball when using TextEdit!

Reaction score
Please help!

I've got a 2.4Ghz 17" Macbook Pro w/ a 160GB drive and 4GB of RAM. Currently running fully updated 10.5.6 and am experiencing SUPER SLOW machine over the past 2 weeks, with 'beachball' galore, even when i'm just slowly typing using TextEdit, Mail, or Firefox (even when they're the only things running). Increased crashes of programs, and "Programs not responding."

"Login Items" on my account are "iTunesHelper", "AdobeResourceSynchronizer", and "Microsoft AU Daemon."

I've used 112GB of the 160GB drive. The "Disk Utility" shows "S.M.A.R.T. Status: Verified".

Shots of my "Activity Monitor" attached.

I've never used any kind of 'cleanup' or 'spyware detection' programs...

Desperately seeking advice and troubleshooting!

Picture 1.png

Picture 2.png

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2009 Unibody MBP, 2.8ghz, 500gig, 4gig
may be you can try to verify and repair disk permissions, does wonders sometimes... though i think it would be even better to install the os x again..

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
I'd also try to replace your PowerPC apps with Intel native alternatives. PowerPC apps need to be translated to run on your system and the rosetta engine that enables that can be a bit of a resource hog.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I would also look into OnyX and/or MainMenu to run some maintenance on your Mac.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.