Applications missing?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 20" iMac
I've no idea how this happened but I have an issue here. In my finder window at the sidebar, I have my home folder(ie the one with my name on it with folders of applications movies and stuff in it) and the Application shortcut. When I click on the Application shortcut at the sidebar, all my stuff are still in it. BUT, when I click on my home folder and open up the applications folder, everything is gone and its an empty folder. Can anyone aid me on how to change things back to the way it was?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I've no idea how this happened but I have an issue here. In my finder window at the sidebar, I have my home folder(ie the one with my name on it with folders of applications movies and stuff in it) and the Application shortcut. When I click on the Application shortcut at the sidebar, all my stuff are still in it. BUT, when I click on my home folder and open up the applications folder, everything is gone and its an empty folder. Can anyone aid me on how to change things back to the way it was?

There are two Applications folders. The one you see in the sidebar is in the root folder and is available to "All Users". The Applications folder you see under your Home folder is available only to you. If you have apps you want to install but make available only for yourself (and not to other users of that Mac), then you'd put the app in this folder.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.