CD-ROM Problem.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" 2015 MacBook Pro Retina / 15" 2010 MacBook Pro
Hello there,

So I have been experiencing this problem for about two or three days now, I'm not sure if it's recent because I don't really use my CD-Rom a lot. The CD-ROM works fine in reading and writing to CD-R disks, but it neither reads nor writes to DVD disks. For some reason, when ever I insert a DVD disk, it stays inside the CD-ROM for about a minute, it makes a sound like it's trying to run it but it keeps stopping, and then it ejects the disk.

I don't really know what I should do, I am trying to install Windows Vista on Boot Camp but I'm failing to do so, can you guys please help me?

I'm running a Mac OS X v10.5.5, 2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2 GB 667 MHz DDR2 SDRAM.

Thank you very much.

Tarek.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
Try a different brand of DVDs. Sometimes they can be a little picky on the discs they like. If the problem continues let us know.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Thanks for your help. I tried three different brands of DVDs, and none of them worked while they work just fine on my other computers.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
Thanks for your help. I tried three different brands of DVDs, and none of them worked while they work just fine on my other computers.

You may well have a faulty drive. For starters... will it not read ANY DVD, or just ones you've burned?

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
The ones I'm inserting are BLANK DVDs, I am supposed to burn stuff to them. I tried on both Windows (Boot Camp) and Macintosh OS X, same thing. So it's a hardware issue for sure. But to make sure what I'm saying is entirely correct, hold on, I'll insert a PS2 DVD, let's see if it reads it......

Okay, it was spinning for about 10 or 15 seconds then it got ejected like other DVDs. Same thing =/.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I have no idea if PS2 DVDs are supposed to be readable on a PC. Try inserting your Mac OS X DVD, or your Windows XP DVD.

OP
Tarek
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PS2 DVDs are readable on my other computers. Anyway, I tried inserting the Mac OS X DVDs and they worked just fine. I inserted CD1 so I can install the Boot Camp drivers and it worked, so I think CD2 will work fine also. I don't know what's wrong with my DVD-ROM reading and writing other brands of DVD disks, it's messing up my head.

Oh well, thanks for the help dude.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.