switching to mac

G

gcccriffle

I am going to take on a huge task of putting all of my family photos and videos in digital format (30 years worth). I have been told that this would be easier to do on a mac. I have many questions and concerns about this. I want to get the highest quality products to get the job done in the easiest way.

1-What software will do the video and pictures and slides
2-What scanner will do the best job
3-What video converter will be best
4-Why is mac best for the job
5-What are the best stereo speakers for the mad or can I use my present altec Lansing multimedia dolby surround sound speakers with a mac

I also have a large audio library and do not want to loose any ot the files that I have. I use musicmatch to play these. Does anyone else use MM on thier mac?

I connect to the internet via satellite and use aol. Any problems with this and mac?

My first computer was a GS for my children. I loved it and assume that the interface for the mac is even easier to use.

I like to have 24/7/365 support and wonder how to arrange this. I also want extended warranty and on site service. I have had dell products for the past 5 years and am very satisified with their support and warranty service.

Any and all replies of help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in davance for you help.

Greg Riffle

OP
N

nko

Going all out, eh? Sounds like a LOT of fun!

1- Video: iMovie is free, but since we're going for top of the line, Final Cut Pro is an industry standard, and is supposedly even used in major Holywood stuff. Pictures: iPhoto is free, and is an excellent tool for organizing photos. PhotoShop is the top of the line photo editor, and has always performed best on the Mac, though it's available for the PC as well.

2- Um, someone else can field this one.

3- This one too :)

4- It's all done by one group. Sparing the technical details, Apple Computer designs, manufactures, markets, and supports the Macintosh line of computers. Everything, done by a single company. There's no such thing as being given the runaround for tech support, as Apple's is the only number to call. They're notorious for excellent service, as well. And since all of the technology is provided by one company for both hardware and software, there's far less need for technical support.

Then, of course, there's the fact that Apple has always been a major leader in the multimedia market. At most big businesses and small shops alike, even if the rest of the company uses Wintel, the multimedia design / production work is done on Macs. It's kind of an understood idea that if you're doing audio, video, or imaging, you're either using a Mac, or you're a cheapskate.

5- You can use those speakers. Or shop around. Either could be better, as far as I know.

I don't know about MusicMatch on the Mac, but I'm pretty sure AOL is available. (outdated link removed)

Apple provides great warrenty support through a program called AppleCare.

And that's all I have to say about that :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacPro 3.0Ghz 16GB RAM, 4x256 Vid, 30''cinema display
I am going to take on a huge task of putting all of my family photos and videos in digital format (30 years worth). I have been told that this would be easier to do on a mac. I have many questions and concerns about this. I want to get the highest quality products to get the job done in the easiest way.

The Graphite: Cool, nko answered most of your questions, but Im bored so Ill go over them again maybe my answers are different.

1-What software will do the video and pictures and slides
The Graphite: Well now, if you are only using still frame photos and not video, I would suggest using iPhoto, its a free software, and you can organize your photos really nicely, then put them into a slide show with that same application put music to it, convert it to .mpg burn it on a CD and play it in many DVD players.. or just burn the pictures all to a CD or DVD..

The Graphite: I own a Hp something, and that is such good quality that if its to high it will pick up the photos texture, and then I have to go to photoshop (also a good app) and resize it. Pretty much any scanner will do the trick. If you want I can phone home and find out what the stats on mine are, but Im sure people here own their own and are looking at their stats.

Well for video converting, Im not sure what you mean, but there is Quicktime Pro, iMovie.. You mean converting a video format to another video format? It all depends on what the formats are.

4-Why is mac best for the job
The Graphite: What you see is what you get. Macintosh has always been there to try and cater to the graphic design. The industry standard for Video is Final Cut Pro made by apple.

5-What are the best stereo speakers for the mad or can I use my present altec Lansing multimedia dolby surround sound speakers with a mac

The Graphite: If you have a reciever you can use your mac for those speakers. I use speakers from the 70s :D

I also have a large audio library and do not want to loose any ot the files that I have. I use musicmatch to play these. Does anyone else use MM on thier mac?

The Graphite: When you get your Mac, use iTunes, you will like it more :D. You won't lose your files, its all .mp3 right?

I connect to the internet via satellite and use aol. Any problems with this and mac?

The Graphite: shouldn't be.

My first computer was a GS for my children. I loved it and assume that the interface for the mac is even easier to use.

The Graphite: Yeah, OSX is amazingly beautiful

I like to have 24/7/365 support and wonder how to arrange this. I also want extended warranty and on site service. I have had dell products for the past 5 years and am very satisified with their support and warranty service.

The Graphite: Apple does a good job of supporting their customers, but you probly wont even need support at all. Mac doesn't really have any problems that we cant help you with.. Macs = supa stable.

Any and all replies of help and advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you in davance for you help.

The Graphite: No problem, come back any time and tell us what mac you got! join us in our Macworld and welcome to MacFora!

Greg Riffle

The Graphite: The Graphite :D

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2
For the storing of photos, sound bits, movies etc.. look into iView Media, it's a great app and is much faster and can do sooo much.. Although they are getting a lot of flack for their latest version since they are charging so much, but hopefully you can get an older version.

OP
U

Ufilms

Shop around for scanner with a high DPI resolution. You can find quality ones from $150-$200+.

I think your looking for something along the lines of what Dazzle offers. Check out...

http://www.pinnaclesys.com/VideoEditing.asp?Family=24&Langue_ID=7

...for more info. You can buy their products at Best Buy and places like it. As for editing all of this video, Final Cut Pro is a prosumer product that costs one grand. Apple offers a consumer version which would probably meet all of your needs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.