Macbook Pro Battery Issue

Reaction score
I'm having issues when using my Macbook pro. It will sometimes just turn off completely at random times. I was thinking it was the battery, maybe it needs to be replaced? I've had the computer turn off at 89%, 39% and 77% battery life. Of course, when the ac adapter is plugged in.. this does not occur. Do you think a dead battery cell may be the case? Even when precautions are taken to increase battery life (decreased screen brightness, less volume, airport off).. it still turns off.

I've had this laptop for over a year.. got it january 2008, with os x tiger.

Think the battery needs replaced?

Reaction score
have you tried taking the battery out and putting it back in? sometimes they get put in wrong and don't make full contact so they shut off when bumped slightly. Just had it happen to my dads laptop lol.

OP
N
Reaction score
Yeah I've done that a few times. There has been times where it just shuts off completely and when you flip the laptop to see the bottom battery indicator it shows like 3 green lights, which should still be enough power to run off the battery. Sometimes it's only one green light (which probably means it needs recharged). I've kept it in good condition, so I dont know why it's doing this. Does it on windows too when I boot.

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad connection to me. You could try blowing some compressed air over the contacts on both the battery and where it touches the computer's nodes. If that doesn't fix it I think you should take it to Apple.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.