This Software cannot be installed on this computer

Reaction score
I am trying to reinstall the OS on a crashed HDD in a Macbook (A1181)
1.83 Ghz Intel Core 2 machine. As soon as I select the language for the
install, the error message comes up. I have formatted the drive twice in
both extended and journaled modes, and tried 2 different sets of install
disks. As far as I know, they are the disks that came with the Macbook.

Diagnostics will not run from the DVD, ("Will not run on this computer"),
but I can get to the profiler utility and it shows that the install disk is a
OS x 10.4.6 (812025), Darwin 8.6.2

I have looked at the other threads on this subject and tried all the suggestions,
resetting the PMU, PRAM etc, all with no help.

Any ideas out there please.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Sounds like not the original system install DVD alas. Did you buy the machine new and know for sure the discs came with it? If so give your local Apple dealer a call and tell them you are having troubles re-installing OS from original discs. Maybe they have become damaged or scratched.

If you can boot from the disc/ have you tried goin g to Utilities and Repairing the Hard Drive?

If not sure they are in fact original you may be best looking for Leopard and make sure you get the black coloured full retail install DVD and not the silver grey disc/s.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
I am trying to reinstall the OS on a crashed HDD in a Macbook (A1181)1.83 Ghz Intel Core 2 machine.

I'm confused... you say your HDD crashed, and you are trying to reinstall the OS on it??????

OP
P
Reaction score
I am using a new HDD. It must be some kind of a hardware or bios issue, because since my post, I have put the bad Macbook in a Firewire mode and taken an almost identical Macbook and booted it from the same installer disk, and at this moment, am installing the OS over firewire. The only other option would have been to use CCCloner to make a clone of my good system disk.

Thanks to all.....

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.