Need to format external to work with PC and Macbook

Reaction score
I have an external USB harddrive that's formatted in a way that my Macbook can't seem to read it. Says it NTFS. I need to format it to something that both my Windows XP PC and my OSX 10.5 Macbook can read and write to. How would I do this?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You need to format the drive as FAT32. FAT32 is both readable and writeable from both operating systems.

OP
M
Reaction score
Are there any drawbacks to formatting it to FAT32? I do a lot of video editting...

How do I go about doing that?

EDIT: Actually, can I run it on HFS+ for the Mac and run MacDrive on the PC? That seems to be the best method. However, I can't find a way to format the drive to HFS+ in Windows...

Reaction score
Are there any drawbacks to formatting it to FAT32? I do a lot of video editting...

How do I go about doing that?

EDIT: Actually, can I run it on HFS+ for the Mac and run MacDrive on the PC? That seems to be the best method. However, I can't find a way to format the drive to HFS+ in Wi ndows...

You're better offormatting in NTFS and then using something like NTFS for mac or MacFUSE to access the drive. With FAT32 you have a 4gig per file limit.

Reaction score
HD ntfs and TC

Hi Santino,

I have similar problem, if I went with your solution, would this solve the following problem:Hi, I hope your solutions may help with my problem. I have a time capsule and works brill with my mac's but I also have PC's with NTFS files system, I have an external HD NTFS that is not recognized when plugged into TC, I can see it but no options to access it on a Mac, not even for reading and on the PC, I can only see TC.

Would having two routers, solve this problem, so that I could attach the USB external HD to the router that is not TC?

Any other way of doing this? I think the problem I have that anything attaching to TC that is NTFS will not work. I also have an external HD Minimax that has USB in the back of it, could I maybe plug this to TC and format it into HFS (Mac system files) and then plug external HD NTFS to it?

I don't want to give up on TC as it is perfect for everything else but cannot for work reason leave my PC's out of the loop.

Thank you

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.