G5 cutting out

Reaction score
Hi

I have an Imac G5, bought in Dec 2004. 1.8 GHZ, 1 GB memory.

Just before the 3 year warranty ran out in 2007, it started cutting out. I would use the computer and after a shortish amount of time it would just suddenly die. Black-out, no power etc, and I'd have to turn it back on.

I phoned Apple and they said it was the power supply socket on the back of the computer, which needed replacing. I was dubious, it sounded more like an internal computer prob to me, but off it went for a repair-return.

When it came back, it seemed to be better. But I didn't use it very much, just mainly for ipod updating, letter writing etc. I use my Mac Book Pro on a daily basis.

When my Mac Book Pro went in for a repair, a couple of months ago, I used the G5 for more lengthy periods and noticed it was happening again.

I've phoned Apple and they say they now think it is the logic board that needs replacing and I have to take it to an Apple store myself as it is out of warranty!

Has anyone else had this problem - the computer cutting out suddenly? There is no Apple store near me, and I am loathe to pay for an expensive repair which would go towards a new computer - although I am reluctant to buy another Apple after this.

I feel really Mad that I paid over £1600 and have been swizzed by the so-called warranty system. I kind of feel they saw there was only a month left on the warranty and did a crap "repair"...

Reaction score
Hi, I had a similar problem and just posted about it on this forum last night. I took mine into the Apple store and they told me the logic board was dead too. I am very upset about it too because it didn't even last four years.

Reaction score
Same problem here, too, with my 2004 iMac. It began shutting down as soon as I turned it on, and finally stopped turning on - last week. I took it to the apple store and they said logic board and power supply needed replaced, for $742 plus tax. Instead I've bought a new 24" 2.66 iMac... just set it up, and it is sloooow, which brought me to find this forum. :(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
24" iMac
Unfortunately, although Apple admits nothing, there seems to be a iMac logic board issue. Google up "imac logic board failure" and read all about it.

Reaction score
That definitely sounds like a log board to me. That's a shame, i don't even think that thing is worth fixing.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.