Hard Drive Data Recovery?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 13" 2.4Ghz Intel Core Duo 2
Hi Guys,
I was trying to mirror an image to a partition on my external hard drive and accidentally started to mirror it to the wrong partition, the partition where all my backup files are :Oops:

I stopped the process within the first 10-15 seconds - but going in thru finder I see none of the older files and only the file structure of the mirrored image. There was about 40~GB of files on this drive - so I would think there is still a way to recover them - but maybe I am SOL..

Any help would be appreciated!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
There are ways to do it - I don't know how your imager worked, but if it did some sort of security erase of the data, then you're in trouble, but (and I don't know all of the mac tools available) you should be able to find a tool to "undelete" the files.

The only one I've seen thrown around in a few posts while skimming various forums is Data Rescue

Here's a search at macupdate for Data Rescue:

MacUpdate Search

I also did a quick search of the word undelete at macupdate and found:

MacUpdate Search

Good luck, hopefully no data was written to the locations where your data used to be and just the links to the files were removed.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.