In search of a wireless router that doesn't suck!

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
A1226 w/4Gb of RAM
Does one even exist?

I am on my 5th router this year, and I have tried all mainstream router manufacturers. (Linksys, Netgear, Dlink, Belkin, Dynex)

The problems I keep having is:

Arbitrary resets. Basically if I want the crap to work I have to unplug it and plug it back in. This keeps them working for a few hours until these POS's go **** up again.

No more overheating issues. I found that if you put a Netgear wireless router in the freezer they get pretty stable results.

Price really isn't an object. Internet connectivity is a must have for college life, and right now this stick of dead routers is mounting.

I wouldn't mind trying an Apple Air-Port Extreme or TimeCapsule, however I have heard that they sadly arn't much better than a Linksys WRT based router.

Opinions. . . . ?

--Garrett

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
The Airport Extreme is a decent, albeit very expensive router.

I have a D-Link DIR-655, which is one of the best rated draft-N routers out there. It works perfectly in my 2300 square foot, two story home. In almost a year of ownership, it's only had to be rebooted once. I have never noticed it having any kind of heat output at all - in fact, it's wall-mounted on drywall.

I'm surprised you've had so many issues. I'm starting to wonder whether it's the routers you use or the environment.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2019 iMac 27"; 2020 M1 MacBook Air; macOS up-to-date... always.
My Airport Extreme has proven very reliable, although there is the rare occasion I've found I've had to unplug it to reset it. I'm inclined to agree with cwa... it might be something else. Time-Warner had to put a powered signal amp in-line to get my internet working correctly a few years ago. It recently got miswired by some contracters who did some work on my electrical system and that amp wasn't getting power to it. Until I realized what the problem was, I thought my Airport had gone belly-up because I was constantly losing my connection and thought resetting the Airport was fixing it, albeit temporarily.

That said, if price is no object and you are considering the Time Capsule, then GET THE TIME CAPSULE!! Leopard's Time Machine feature is simply something you really MUST be using as a college student. I can practically guarantee you that at some point, it will save you a lot of trouble by having such a comprehensive backup archive available.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.