Dragging Programs onto the Desktop

K

killer_bites

Ok, my powerbook is in Luxemburg - so any day now it will be in the uk. ;)

So, i've been downloading, browsers so i can test my websites and any other software apple recommend - all legal. :)

My University have provided me with virex, but dragging the hqx into notepad on my pc has shown its version 6.1 - so if i've done my homework thats going to require classic mode :mad: Does anyone know where i can get a cheap effective virus checker, that doesn't slow the system down - virex sounds cool - anywhere cheap (im in the uk).

I've digressed...I've noticed when developing in flash the mac projector file is a HQX format - equivalent to a pc EXE? Anywhoo, is this the type of program ive heard you can simply drag onto the desktop and they just run? Or will it depend? Can anyone share any light on the subject of programs that just run - my collegue seems to think photoshop is like that.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
PowerMac G4 Cube 450mhz 832mb
hqx ia compressed file format known as a binhex, sorta like a .zip or .sit file in that its a compressed file. any app will run from the desktop, but theres no need for that with the dock. .hqx files can go back and forth between mac and pc, basically converting binary data into ASCII characters.
as far as virus protection, do not, under any circumstances use norton antivirus. maybe intego virus barrier, virex is free with a .mac account, so you'd be getting the latest version.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
You don't really need virus protection in OS X as there currently are no viruses for OS X...

It's more of an added precaution, but I don't bother with it. Kind of like taking an umbrella out in the saharan desert just incase it rains.

As for the applications: Most come in a container (either a .hqx or a disk image .dmg) and once you've unpacked them, most can be dragged anywhere and launched form there.
The programs are just 1 file. (Which is a package that contains all the other bits, but all you see is 1 icon and that's it).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
yea, I assumed he needed virus protection because he said his university gave him virex, so I figured his university requires some sort of virus protection to connect to the network. Am I right killer_bites?

OP
K

killer_bites

Macman said:
yea, I assumed he needed virus protection because he said his university gave him virex, so I figured his university requires some sort of virus protection to connect to the network. Am I right killer_bites?

Yup. But im kinda of campus now, so it's not so crucial, but when bringing files in and out, i want to be careful.

I know people say there are no viruses for OS X, but lets be honest, by saying that it's an accident waiting to happen Aptmunich. With the increase of switchers, it cant be far away until the madness im trying to move away from haunts us all again.

I might go for a .mac account, but then again - do i really need one? Or can i sign up for 6 months and get it for free forever??

Cheers guys for the HQX update, as soon as it comes, i'll tinker :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
killer_bites said:
but lets be honest, by saying that it's an accident waiting to happen Aptmunich. With the increase of switchers, it cant be far away until the madness im trying to move away from haunts us all again.

That is what people have been saying since I switched back in 7/03 and there has been nothing. It is much harder to write a virus that can activate itself and spread itself for a unix environment than it is on windows

OP
K

killer_bites

trpnmonkey41 said:
It is much harder to write a virus that can activate itself and spread itself for a unix environment than it is on windows

isn't that just the perfect challenge? Be part of the elite? I've just inherited my fathers paranoia. :ninja:

Im sure it will be fine, it's not as if i make a habiit of visiting dodgy sites, just hope my router is secure. :)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
killer_bites said:
isn't that just the perfect challenge? Be part of the elite? I've just inherited my fathers paranoia. :ninja:

Im sure it will be fine, it's not as if i make a habiit of visiting dodgy sites, just hope my router is secure. :)
no viruses can be written for a unix based os because its all permissions based, which means the virus would ask for a password to activate or install itself, which, as long as you dont pirate software, wont happen. though there are currently none. there was one trojan, but it was killed quickly by a security update.

OP
K

killer_bites

Macman said:
no viruses can be written for a unix based os because its all permissions based, which means the virus would ask for a password to activate or install itself, which, as long as you dont pirate software, wont happen. though there are currently none. there was one trojan, but it was killed quickly by a security update.

That will do my Macman - cheers for the update - it looks as if i might get my powerbook tommorow, so u never know, this time tommorow, i could be posting on it. :mac:

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.