• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

Problems with ffmpegX converting avi to dvd

Reaction score
If anyone is familiar with ffmpegX I could really use some pointers. I've just started playing with this program. I have an avi file that I want to burn to dvd and I am running into problem after problem.

Normally I use VisualHub for burning my avi's, which works great - however I need to add a subtitle (.srt) file along with one. I've done some searching and ffmpegX was what most recommended. Ideally I would like to add selectable subtitles (that can be turned on and off with dvd remote). I have followed the tutorial i found on their site but am having problems with either the audio and video skipping, or the video being out of sync with the audio. I think I have all the necessary codecs installed, and the original avi plays well in quicktime and VLC player.

I've tried a few different settings in ffmpegX, including decoding with both quicktime and mplayer (in the options tab), and still the video/audio is ether choppy or out of sync...

So... any insight? Or, is there an easier way to add a subtitle to an avi to burn to dvd? Any ffmpeX pros out there have any suggestions??

Thanks!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.