Replacement wall adapter for magsafe charger

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0/4GB/500
I lost the little piece that changes the magsafe charger from a 3-prong into a 2-prong. I really need it!! Can I buy I new one or do I need a whole new charger? I looked all over the internet and couldn't find it, but I could have missed it.

Reaction score
if it is that little corner piece, I thought I saw some on eBay. They were sold separately. You might there under macbook chargers.

Reaction score
If you want a cheap solution, standard power extension cords can be plugged into the two prongs on the Apple power bricks just fine. The plug is so ubiquitous that I don't even recall the name, but you might even have one lying around your house (especially if you've bought any electronics with a power brick). The connection on the Apple adapter is the same one shown here, and can be plugged into a 2-prong outlet with a cable such as this one.

Reaction score
If I'm interpreting the question correctly, do you need one of these?

"Grounding Adapters" are cheap (2/$5, there), and you can get them at any hardware store or Radio Shack, etc. that you may have nearby. just stick that onto the extension cable that came with your charger.
Given, that ground pin is there for a reason, but if you must use one, they're not hard to find.
---------------
If you don't have that 3' extension cable (plugs into the corner in place of the AC plug), I'd be willing to part with one of mine as I have a spare from a replacement charger.
If you want it, send me a PM or something.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0/4GB/500
If you want a cheap solution, standard power extension cords can be plugged into the two prongs on the Apple power bricks just fine. The plug is so ubiquitous that I don't even recall the name, but you might even have one lying around your house (especially if you've bought any electronics with a power brick). The connection on the Apple adapter is the same one shown here, and can be plugged into a 2-prong outlet with a cable such as this one.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding, but I don't think either of those will help me. :(

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0/4GB/500
If I'm interpreting the question correctly, do you need one of these?

"Grounding Adapters" are cheap (2/$5, there), and you can get them at any hardware store or Radio Shack, etc. that you may have nearby. just stick that onto the extension cable that came with your charger.
Given, that ground pin is there for a reason, but if you must use one, they're not hard to find.
---------------
If you don't have that 3' extension cable (plugs into the corner in place of the AC plug), I'd be willing to part with one of mine as I have a spare from a replacement charger.
If you want it, send me a PM or something.

That would work. I'll pick one of those up. But I'd really like to get the original piece. I guess I'll just have to get a new Magsafe.

And thanks for the offer! That's nice of you That's the part I do have, though. :)

Reaction score
Are you missing the brick + cord that goes to your mac, or the part that plugs into the brick and goes to the wall? If it's the former you'll need a new magsafe. If it's the latter, my solution will work fine for you.

Reaction score
I was referring to the little corner piece with the flip-out AC prongs.

My replacement cord came with one that I have sitting in a little box in my desk. If you need one, I'd be willing to send it your way.
It would be a shame to buy a whole mag safe cord (for about $60), when I've got one handy.
I use the plastibook charger (65 watt, I think), but I think they're all the same size if you're using a MBP.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
Like already said, you can find the little corner part with the prongs on eBay.

OP
E
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.0/4GB/500
SimonJester,

Oh! That would be really amazing. I could send you money via paypal for shipping and whatever you think it's worth.

Emily

Reaction score
Ok, I was just saying you dont need the specific Apple part to plug in the adapter. You can just get a $3 cable from RadioShack/Walmart/anywhere that sells even basic electronics and it does the exact same thing.

Reaction score
For the iBook, sure... but the MagSafe parts are Apple-only. You could wedge a replacement cable into the connection... but whether or not it's a very secure connection isn't as sure. I'd rather use OEM parts for my computer, considering the investment behind it.

Anyway, postage for this little piece is less than a paypal fee and the hassle involved, it's less than a buck to send it USPS, so nothing to worry about. Just PM me where to send it, and I'll stick it in the mail... Given, it may be a few days, late in the week and cross country to boot.

Just to be sure, it is this one, right?

Reaction score
For the iBook, sure... but the MagSafe parts are Apple-only. You could wedge a replacement cable into the connection... but whether or not it's a very secure connection isn't as sure.

Err... the Magsafe adapter has 2 elements to it. The brick + magsafe cable which is Apple proprietary, and the connecting piece which uses a standard electrical port. It's perfectly secure. A cable is a cable, and mains frequency/voltage/amperage isn't affected by a cable. The connection between the nodes is arguably even more secure than that of Apple's "corner" piece, especially depending on how you orient the brick when you plug it into the wall. It doesn't matter if you have an iBook, a Powerbook G4, or a Macbook Pro- it's the same connection.

As far as I can tell the only real reason to buy a new "corner" plug is cosmetic. Plugging the brick in directly has no ground and is not anywhere close to what I'd call space-efficient.

Reaction score
Hence why I just use the 3' extension that came with the charger. Apparently they stopped doing that, because a lot of folks I've talked to never received an extension with their computer. The replacement chargers never had them included, but why they stopped shipping them with new machines is beyond me.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G
I had to get my Magsafe adapter replaced just a few weeks ago and the new replacement they pulled off the wall had both the brick and the extension inside. So I'm fairly certain you still get the extension when you buy a Magsafe adapter itself, not sure about whether or not it comes with new Macs.

Reaction score
Not intending to hijack the thread, but is it possible to get an adapter with a longer cord? I mean, other than just sticking the adapter in an extension cord?

I have a Thinkpad X60 and the AC cord seems about twice as long, while Apple's AC cord too short for my use (plus, the battery life compared to the X60 is pathetic).

Of course, many other computers have a cord to the adapter and then a cord to the socket, while Apple only has a cord to the adapter.

Reaction score
Not intending to hijack the thread, but is it possible to get an adapter with a longer cord? I mean, other than just sticking the adapter in an extension cord?

Of course, many other computers have a cord to the adapter and then a cord to the socket, while Apple only has a cord to the adapter.

If you don't have the thicker (~5mm) cord that plugs into the brick, you can buy one by getting a separate power adapter from an Apple Store/3rd party retailer, or you can use my solution documented earlier in the thread (which will make your cord go from the wall, to the brick, then to the computer). As far as a power brick alone with a longer cable...I'm not sure they make one.

Reaction score
Yeah, the MagSafe comes with a 3ft cord attached (and mine is fraying, I will be on my FORTH charger pretty soon), and a 3' extension that can be swapped for the removable AC prongs. Whether or not you'll get an extension with a charger seems to be a toss-up, however.

Also: I tried jamming a standard replacement cable into the brick today at work. It works fine, but it's a pain to get in. I ended up buying the cord from the store, because the little metal disk ground a hunk out of the cord.

Reaction score
Yeah, the MagSafe comes with a 3ft cord attached (and mine is fraying, I will be on my FORTH charger pretty soon), and a 3' extension that can be swapped for the removable AC prongs. Whether or not you'll get an extension with a charger seems to be a toss-up, however.

Also: I tried jamming a standard replacement cable into the brick today at work. It works fine, but it's a pain to get in. I ended up buying the cord from the store, because the little metal disk ground a hunk out of the cord.

You might want to see if Apple will replace that for you. Power cords really aren't something that should be fraying. One of mine started to melt near the magsafe connector and even though it was out of warranty they replaced it.

Reaction score
I don't have to pay for them, but it is a hassle to drive an hour to the nearest apple store. Usually I just slip some heat-shrink tubing over the break, and it holds everything in place fairly well until I have a day off to head down to Sacramento.

At least Apple will replace those chargers, though. Everyone I know who takes their Mac with them here and there has had to replace it at least once.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.