Wireless setup at SCHOOL

B

boojus

Need help setting up my Powerbook G4 to use the wireless network at my college. I can browse the internet just fine, ie. Internet Explorer, but I would like to be able to use other programs namely MSN Messenger and Azureus over this network. Is it possible for me to set this up or has the school somehow disabled the ports(???) for these other applications. Thank you for the help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
Schools usually disable all bittorrent ports and they may have disabled MSN. If you are on the internet and it doesn't work then they most likely disabled it

OP
B

boojus

MSN works when im on one of there wired computers, i dont know if bittorrent does or not, but would there be a difference between the wired network and the wireless network?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
shouldn't make a difference at all

If you left MSN open after disconnecting from the wired network and going to wireless try exiting it and reopening it to see if it detects the new connection

OP
B

boojus

well, the computer im using for wireless access is my mac, but the wired computers that i use are the colleges pc's so i cant really try that. is there some sort of firewall active on my mac that i have to configure? ive been using pc's for a long time so macs are somewhat new to me and i dont know anywhere near as much about them as i do about pcs. thanks again.

OP
B

boojus

well i looked at the mac and the firewall was on only allowing a few ports, so tomorrow i will try it with the firewall disabled and see if that changes anything. ill get back to you with the results, thanks.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
i dont have no mac's
my schools got our network in uber-secure double secret probation lockdown mode

well, not really....but they have all p2p/bittorrent stuff blocked, cant accept incoming aim file transfers, cant connect to MSN, basically you cant do much of anything that isnt school related....but we are the #2 most wired school in the US...so i guess thats cool

my school also runs several completely seperate networks...the library network, library wireless, dorm wired and dorm wireless are the same...computer labs got their own stuff, ....crazy ish they got goin on here

somehow they managed to get cisco wireless systems with a several mile range to only give signal to a few hundred feet area...crazy i still tell you

make a friend in the IT department...they usually know open ports or have opened some for themselves that they might let you share
-chris

OP
B

boojus

is it possible to change what port(s) that the applications use if i can find any open ports?

Reaction score
My College network requires a VPN login, once logged in, everything works. I have never tried any P2P apps, because I never use them.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" 1Ghz PB 768Mb 10.4.5 30Gb Video iPod 40Gb 3G iPod 1Gb iPod Shuffle
try a third party app for msn

if you can get gaim to workin using X11 that will work as you can tell it to run through port 80 so it will work other than that try using

www.e-messenger.net ;)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.