is this a good deal?

Reaction score
this add is posted on my local Craigslist there are a few things wrong with this Macbook adn they are asking $400 for it can anyone tell me if this is a good deal? and if it is not are the issues easily fixable and what would be a fair offer??
thanks so much for any help! here is the listing

I am looking to sell this great working laptop. It works good but has a couple issues that if were corrected would make this laptop like new. 1st it is missing the letter k on the keyboard(obviously can still type and I believe keys are pretty cheap), 2nd the battery doesn't seem to last as long(so may need new battery), and finally the one clasp that holds the screen shut(on the front) doesn't clip. I have seen this laptop listed on ebay for 650+ but since it has these few small things wrong I am willing to sell for less than that or reasonable trade. Mac OS X version 10.4.11, Processor 1GHz power PC G4 1MB L3 cache, Memory 1GB DDR SDRAM

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
No HD size? Makes me wonder...

Personally, I wouldn't consider buying that laptop for $400. Why buy a 1Ghz, 1GB RAM laptop with acknowledged flaws? If you are really looking to buy a used Mac, get one that isn't broken and preferably an Intel one (personal opinion).

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks!!! I am very new to all of this and my husband wants me to go the Apple store and just buy a new one so I am sure of what I am getting, but the bargain hunter in me just shudders at the price, I guess I should just bite the bullet!

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You could always get a refurb through Apple. Here is a link to the US refurb page. There are other pages for other countries as well should you not be American. See here for more info.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
thanks!!! I am very new to all of this and my husband wants me to go the Apple store and just buy a new one so I am sure of what I am getting, but the bargain hunter in me just shudders at the price, I guess I should just bite the bullet!

Generous husband. :) As vansmith advised, Apple refurbished machines are a good alternative and generally are priced 10 to 15% lower than a new unit. The refurbished machines carry a full warranty backed by Apple. But if your mate is willing to buy a new one for you..... :)

Regards.

Reaction score
mine was used from a mac store, it came to about 1000 with the 6 month thing on it (paying in payments) it had 9 months left of warrenty when i first got it, it's a little older (white 13 inch.. ) but it's a CHARM..
i recommend going to the store, even if it is used.

OP
T
Reaction score
thanks for all the info, I think i will go to the store and see what they have used, if nothing works for me then I will go new. from what I have heard I will need several of these ( we have 8 kids) before long, (my daughter is already doing her own Apple research) so after I know what works for us then I can try used or Craigslist or Ebay. thanks!!!:D

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Remember to check the online refurb store as well - there may be Macs there that aren't available in store that may work for you.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
thanks for all the info, I think i will go to the store and see what they have used, if nothing works for me then I will go new. from what I have heard I will need several of these ( we have 8 kids) before long, (my daughter is already doing her own Apple research) so after I know what works for us then I can try used or Craigslist or Ebay. thanks!!!:D

Do yourself a favor and go to the local store's website (look them up on the Apple website). Then schedule a "personal shopper" appointment. It's free and they'll give you an hour of dedicated time to step you through all the models and answer all of your questions. Apple Store's tend to be very busy and without doing this, you might have a hard time getting all of your questions answered.

Good luck.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
Yep, that would be a Powerbook model, which preceded Macbooks. Macbooks have Intel processors, whereas the Powerbook models had PowerPC processors. It would run OS 10.4 reasonably well and might even be OK with 10.5, but some newer software won't be compatible with the older processor type. You'd want to make sure it's compatible with that chip specifically or is universal binary.

OP
T
Reaction score
great info, I plan to visit my local Apple store this weekend and I will set up an appt so I can get all of my questions answered! And Janusso thanks for explaining the difference to me and what I might be lacking! it really helps!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.