apple repair

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
so i've had my powerbook for about 1.5 years and i sent it in 2 weeks ago for it's 3rd major repair. i've previoiusly had to get a new battery(not the ones included in the recall), a new power adapter, a new logic board, and a new display. so i recently had to send it to get it's logic board replaced for the 2nd time. i got it back and have been using it and realized that the fan is prematurely turning on. before i was able to watch video clips on CNET.com while browsing other websites while listening to iTunes and doing a whole bunch of other things without the fan turning on. now, the fan turns on if i'm just surfing the web and listening to iTunes for more than 5 min. or so.

so i open up the computer to see if there was something maybe i could fix. i unscrew everything and open up the computer and i find a loose screw just laying in there. i found the hole that it belonged to along the sides of the logic board.

*** is that?!?! i send it in for repairs and it comes back with a defect and a loose screw? not to mention this is the 3rd major repair on the machine. it hasn't even been 2 years yet. i'm going to call apple and see what i can do about getting a new replacement b/c this is ridiculous.

btw, the replacement battery, replacement power adapter, 1st replace logic board, and replaced screen all happend within the first 2 weeks that i owned the computer. i bought it brand new from Apple in October 2003. my machine specs are under my profile.

S

SamR

I hear you, I have nothing but sour taste for my Apple powerbook repair. I was on logic board #3 within 4months of owning my powerbook. I lost a month of time due to sending it in multiple times and had nothing but bad experiences and conversations with technicians. Best of luck though I'm not sure mentioning taking the computer apart and unscrewing things would be the best approach...

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black MacBook. Once you go black, you never go back. 2.0 Ghz Intel Core Duo; 2 GB RAM; 80 GB HDD
SamR said:
I hear you, I have nothing but sour taste for my Apple powerbook repair. I was on logic board #3 within 4months of owning my powerbook. I lost a month of time due to sending it in multiple times and had nothing but bad experiences and conversations with technicians. Best of luck though I'm not sure mentioning taking the computer apart and unscrewing things would be the best approach...

surprisingly, they NEVER asked any questions, they just checked to see if the problem was really occuring and they fixed it without hesitation. this means one of two things:

1) they have great customer service and are very understanding of the customer's situation or...

2) they know the powerbooks have major quality issues and aren't reluctant to admit it (i'm thinking it's the latter)

in any case, logic board #3 within 4 months? if that doesn't warrant a new computer, i don't know what does. i feel for your SamR. i don't mind that my computer is broken all the time, perhaps i just got a lemon, but Apple should be responsible for replacing my lemon instead of just putting bandades on major wounds.

i'm going to be on the phones for the next couple of days hounding Apple's *** and seeing if i can't get a new computer. thank God i bought the 3 year warranty.

S

SamR

Yeah I think they know there are some serious issues with Powerbooks. The graphics teacher at my girlfriend's school (it's a design arts college) told students not to get powerbooks but rather ibooks because of the poor reliability. What really made me mad is that I called them after it being in service for the 2nd time complaining that they never even addressed one of the problems (poor battery life) that was written on the sheet for it by an Apple Genius. I asked why nothing had been done and the technician said "sometimes those guys are pretty long-winded about problems" I'm like what the heck I didn't spend near $2000 on this to be treated this way. I tell you Dell has got the customer support program down pat.

Reaction score
wow.... is this whole broken logic board deal just a mac thing?

OP
F
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
this is my first mac EVER and i have to say that i am severely underwhelmed. the OS is great, but it does me no good if i have to send my computer in for repairs 6 times every year. now i'm trying to figre out how much i can sell mine for and see which SONY VAIO i can get.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.