FireWire Chipset - Texas Instruments?

Reaction score
Hi,

I am strongly considering purchasing a MacBook Pro, but beforehand I would like to ascertain the brand of chipset used for the FireWire port in that machine. Ideally it needs to be Texas Instruments as this is the chipset most commonly recommended for use with FireWire audio interfaces. Apple's sales line would not release this information to me, so I'm wondering if any existing users could assist.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks!

bobtomay

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
In reference to recommendations to a particular chipset, in this case, it is referring to the chipset used in the audio device itself (or external enclosure, etc.), not to the chipset on the motherboard of your computer.

Someone may know that information, but, you'll be hard pressed to find that info about any off the shelf computer. Don't really care what brand it is. As far as that goes, you'll be hard pressed to find that info trying to buy a separate high end mobo.

Reaction score
I've been using the FireWire 400 interface on my Tascam DM3200 for about two years, and never had a problem with it on my MP or MB.

Just remember... it's a Mac. One of the most common professional uses for higher end Macs is digital audio engineering, and the most common interface (except Pro Tools) for pro audio interfaces is FireWire. You can be sure that this was a BIG consideration when Apple selected the chipset for their machines.

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks to you both for responding.

In reference to recommendations to a particular chipset, in this case, it is referring to the chipset used in the audio device itself (or external enclosure, etc.), not to the chipset on the motherboard of your computer.
I believe it does in fact refer to the chipset on the computer. I have read rather widely about the issue and it is recommended: a) to use a Texas Instruments firewire interface on the computer's end b) to avoid Macs which do not have this kind of interface.

Someone may know that information, but, you'll be hard pressed to find that info about any off the shelf computer. Don't really care what brand it is. As far as that goes, you'll be hard pressed to find that info trying to buy a separate high end mobo.
Definitely - it's a very specific query. Part of the problem in getting it addressed. :)

I've been using the FireWire 400 interface on my Tascam DM3200 for about two years, and never had a problem with it on my MP or MB.

Just remember... it's a Mac. One of the most common professional uses for higher end Macs is digital audio engineering, and the most common interface (except Pro Tools) for pro audio interfaces is FireWire. You can be sure that this was a BIG consideration when Apple selected the chipset for their machines.
I am glad to hear you haven't had any problems, although I believe the affected machines date from early '07 into mid '08, or thereabouts.

Yes, Mac is a popular platform for pro audio. That's why the move away from the TI chipset was met with some incredulity and mild panic.

All I really want to avoid is buying an otherwise extremely solid machine which ends up being slightly lacking in a very specific department, namely the firewire chipset.

Again, thanks for your input. If anyone else has anything to add then I would love to hear from you.

Reaction score
although I believe the affected machines date from early '07 into mid '08, or thereabouts.

My Mac Pro was purchased custom configured in April or May of '08, and my mb the preceding December ('07), so I believe I fall into the range in question.

I've imported 24 live, lossless digital audio onto both machines' via FireWire 400 with absolutely no problem. I'm sure that the process is helped by the quality software Tascam provides, but that's still A LOT of information to be processed that wouldn't make it through anything but a quality chipset.

I'd imagine that if there was a problem with the FW chipsets, it was more an issue of defective products, rather than a defective model. I know many recordists who use Macs and their FW interfaces for their equipment, and I've never heard of such an issue.

Reaction score
bantanda if you still are wondering, you can ask a friend or a willing sales assistant to do a cmd+s on bootup..the chipset manufacturer shld be displayed. However if its a later model it is most probably Lucent/Agere, the supposed problematic chipsets.

Reaction score
The answer to your question is no they no longer come with a TI chipset, they come with an Agere one. As i recently bought a macbook pro for audio use i was slightly annoyed to discover this.
It is definitely true that the chipset makes a difference, as certain audio interfaces do not work well with the new macbook pro, particularly when running windows bootcamp. I am in the process of discovering this the hard way. The good news is that there are people out there who have working systems, you just have to do your research before you buy. I am looking at buying a focusrite saffire, as people have had success with this, but as i don't have it yet i can't say this for sure. I can suggest you don't buy anything from M-Audio though.
This firewire thing is a real shame really, because i absolutely love everything else about my macbook pro, and i am sure once i have a working system i will soon get over it (i hope)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.