OSX sharing folders automatically

Reaction score
Hi,

I have my Mac OS X Leopard set up to share certain folders with my PC network and it is working fine.
However, the Mac is sharing folders that I don't want it to.

I have been into System Preferences > Sharing > File Sharing and selected ONLY the folders that I want shared (music, movies, applications) and yet when viewing the Mac through my PC network I have access to the Mac's Time machine external HDD and the entire Macintosh Harddrive including all my documents which I don't want shared.

I have gone into the unwanted folder's Get Info and "share folder" is not ticked and I have turned file sharing off and on and added and removed certain folders from the list to try to reset it but still folders that I do not have selected are being shared.

So why is this? I only bought the mac a month ago so I am new to the system but I thought if it isn't in the System Preferences list then it shouldn't be shared.

I'd love to get these off my network asap for privacy, can anyone help?

Shona

EDIT: I've noticed that the folders it is sharing that I don't want it to are folders that I USED to have shared but removed from the list.
Why are they still there and accessible when they aren't on my list?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
How are you sharing your folders? AFP? FTP? NFS? SMB?

OP
S
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply Vansmith,

In my System Preferences I have File Sharing ticked and only the folders I want listed. To answer your question, in the File Sharing box it says "Other users can access shared folders on this computer, and administrators all volumes, at afp://192.168.0.69/ or “ShonaMac”."

..So AFT?

P.s. since the original post I am now running Snow Leopard.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
What you need to do,is:

Go to the sharing preferences, in "file sharing", make sure the list is only of the folders you DO want to share.
Make sure your HD is not in the list.

next setup the account for this.
wether this is a guest account or an account that needs password.
do note, that as soon as you turn file sharing on, and you log-in from a different pc, using the administrator password, you will always be able to see AL files. unless you say different in this screen.
(the last one is probabely the cause of your problem.

hope this helps for you.

OP
S
Reaction score
Hi jeltekalkman,

In my sharing preferences only the folders I want to be shared are on the list - no HD.

Are you saying that you want me to set up a new account? Sorry, but I'm confused with your post.
When you say "setup the account for this" do you mean that you want me to set up a NEW account? And set it up for what exactly?

When you say: "do note, that as soon as you turn file sharing on, and you log-in from a different pc, using the administrator password, you will always be able to see AL files. unless you say different in this screen."

Currently, whoever views my Mac through the PC Network doesn't need to type in an admin password - but they can still see all my files, that is my issue - when you say "Unless you say different in the screen" what exactly am I saying? And on who's screen?

My apologies for the questions but I really want to get this sorted and any extra details you can give me would really benefit. Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Early "09 Macbook Alubody 13" / iPhone 3G 16GB Black
What you need to do is, in the sharing preferences, select only the public folders.

next, set-up the accounts and make sure everything is read&write, which allows all users to log in and read&write in your public map.

next, if you want an administrator to be able to read every file,
add your HD, and give the accounts:
guests (or everyone): No access
"you": Read & Write

hope this makes it all a lot clearer

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.