Virus

Reaction score
I don't know if i have a virus or not, but my computer is running REALLY slow... like insanely, and the pages on google on Safari are weird (the words are all squished together) and aMSN keeps logging me out randomly.. a lot! and everything just.. blech.. i hope it's not a virus because that would suck but i don't know what else it could be because whenever this happened to my old pc's it would be a bug...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
It isn't a virus.

• download Onyx and clean caches and repair permissions
• boot up up with your OS X DVD and run a full disk repair
• make sure your version of OS X is up to date
• try a different browser such as Firefox and see if it's any different
• restart you router or reset it to factory settings

Reaction score
It's definitely not a virus (Mac viruses don't exist); it could be a trojan horse if you (or somebody with access to your computer) were tricked into downloading and installing some new cool whiz-bang software. But security updates from Apple should eradicate any trojan horses, so I wouldn't worry too much about them.

Reaction score
Jenifur,

You've reported quite a number of uncommon issues with your computer. I think it would benefit you greatly if you could find someone to help you to backup your important data, run system tests from the system dvd and do a clean install of the operating system.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook
None of those issues are uncommon and a reinstall isn't really necessary.

Just follow the steps provided by Alexis and you should be fine.

Reaction score
D3v1L80Y, I was referring to more posts than this one where Jenifur complained of problems. And, in doing many things in her newbieness, she may have created some instabilities. If fixing her issues is as simple as doing the standard things and none of the people with a gobzillion posts on this forum has yet suggested that to her, that's unfortunate.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.66/4GB/640 OS x 10.5 Leopard
It isn't a virus.

• download Onyx and clean caches and repair permissions
• boot up up with your OS X DVD and run a full disk repair
• make sure your version of OS X is up to date
• try a different browser such as Firefox and see if it's any different
• restart you router or reset it to factory settings

See my post about resetting defaults. I cannot find a way to change browser from Safari. Would disk repair help?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Macbook C2D 2.2Ghz and 2 G4 550Mhz Pismos
After launching Safari, click Safari in the menu at the top of the screen. Then click preferences and you can change default browsers in the general preferences panel. This is assuming you've installed another browser, like Firefox or Netscape or Opera, etc.

There are probably other ways to skin this cat, but that will work.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.