I am buying a MacBook Pro 17" - HELP

Reaction score
I am buying a MacBook Pro 17"

I'll give you my background on how I'm planning on using it and then the choices of upgrades Apple let's you pick.

Here Goes:

I "DO NOT" plan on using this computer for gaming or any advanced video or photo editing programs etc...

The majority of the time will be spent surfing the web, playing videos off of websites, etc... - basic computer stuff.

The "MAIN THING" I want is for the internet and the pc to work as fast as possible especially if I have multiple pages open etc... - My job requires a lot of searching and looking things up on the net.

The choices in Upgrades Apple offers are very "Tempting", but also VERY expensive. :)

Could someone with knowledge on this subject give me guidance on the following choices Apple offers?

Please be as details to each particular listing below as possible. Thank You. :)

Processor

Enjoy incredible performance from the Intel Core 2 Duo processor, which features two processor cores on a single chip. Choose the speed you want.

Processor

* 2.66GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 2.93GHz Intel Core 2 Duo [Add $300.00]

Memory

More memory (RAM) increases overall performance and enables your computer to run more applications at the same time. The MacBook Pro 17-inch model supports up to 8 gigabytes of RAM.

Memory

* 4GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2x2GB
* 8GB 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 2X4GB [Add $1,000.00]

Hard Drive

Your MacBook Pro comes standard with a 5400-rpm Serial ATA hard drive. Choose a hard drive with a faster speed for greater performance. Or you can choose a solid-state drive that offers greater durability.

Hard Drive

* 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 5400 rpm
* 320GB Serial ATA Drive @ 7200 rpm [Add $50.00]
* 128GB Solid State Drive [Add $300.00]
* 256GB Solid State Drive [Add $750.00]

Display

MacBook Pro comes with a high-resolution 1920x1200 pixel LED-backlit display. Choose a standard glossy display that lets you view graphics, photos, and videos with richer color and deeper blacks, or an optional antiglare display.

Display

* MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Glossy Widescreen Display
* MacBook Pro 17-inch Hi-Resolution Antiglare Widescreen Display [Add $50.00]

AppleCare Protection Plan

Whether you’re new to the Mac or an experienced user, the AppleCare Protection Plan helps you get the most from your Mac. For three years from your computer’s original purchase date, you’ll get direct telephone access to Apple's experts for questions about your Mac, the Mac OS, iLife, and iWork. And you’ll get global repair coverage — both parts and labor — through convenient service options.

When you purchase the AppleCare Protection Plan and your computer at the same time, you’ll be automatically registered in the plan.

AppleCare Protection Plan

* None
* AppleCare Protection Plan for MacBook Pro (w/or w/o Display) - Auto-enroll [Add $349.00]

Please give me as detailed advice on the choices outlined above.

Thank you anyone who provides input. :)

Trey

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro C2D 2.16
In my view, you don't need any of the upgrades for what you intend on doing....
d

Reaction score
agreed to surf the web nothing is really necessary from the macbook pro my 1 year old 15" non upgraded games and uses photoshop as well as having several web pages and is very speedy.

Reaction score

For what you are doing it sounds like the 17 inch is overkill. Is it the size of the screen that you are drawn to? The 17 isn't that portable. You could consider sacrificing portability and getting an imac that is much cheaper, better processor and a bigger screen.

Just thoughts...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13inch 2.3 i5 MBP 64gb SSD 320gb HD 8gb 1333
The baseline is more than enough for that. In fact you would be more than happy with the baseline model from 3 years ago for that.

I would go to the store though and check out the matte screen to see if you like it more than the glossy. When you are buying a 17ich macbook what another 50bucks anyway.

The only noticeable performance upgrade you could do is get an SSD but I would never recommend anyone to get one from apple due to the high price. But I am more of a DIYer. (They are still expensive to get yourself but you can save a significant chunk of change)

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2011 MacBook Air, i5 27" IMac, 2010 21.5" IMac, 2010 Mini, 2011 13" MBP, IPhone 4, Airport Extreme
Hope u guys realize you are responding to a 2 year old post

Reaction score
Gotta love it! I did that on another forum two weeks ago. I was so excited about the topic I didn't notice it was three years old. (LOL)

Reaction score
statute of limitations

Is it too late to reply.....too funny!!!. Just shows that people are really helpful on this site even if it's 3 years later.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.