iphone with another service

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.33ghz 2 Gb RAM 160GB 17" Glossy...
if i used the iphone with another service besides att would i still get the 3g capabilities... i would think so since it is software...??

thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
If the other service provider has a 3G network running, probably. Otherwise, no. It's all about the Network.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
...and in the US, you only really have one other choice: T-Mobile. Verizon and Sprint use CDMA, which is inherently incompatible with the iPhone.

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
thanks again guys for the quick and great answering...

OP
melow71
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
just confused though on how the 3g network actually works... Is it simply a software option that is available to people or simply a component of the service???

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
3G is part of the network and the phone has to have the required hardware and software to be able to access the 3G network. In the case of the iPhone and AT&T this hardware/software is based on the UMTS standard (IIRC) which is incompatible with CDMA as mentioned above.

I'm not sure T-Mobile has 3G yet, although I suspect it is coming.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
I'm not sure T-Mobile has 3G yet, although I suspect it is coming.
T-Mobile USA has 3G service but it is very limited. Only in a few select cities right now.

Reaction score
all wireless networks in the US are using some form of 3G. 3G is just the Third Generation of Wireless technology, it does not matter if it is TDMA or CDMA, 3G is 3G

The only difference is whether the network is based on TDMA (att, t-mobile) or CDMA (sprint, verizon).

Each phone has to have the compatible network technology to use that network. thats why you can not use a TDMA based phone on a CDMA based network. the hardware and software different

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Imac 20" 1.9ghz PPC 2gb Ram,250gb HD
Sprint has 3g also, but for t-mobile you got the EDGE which is kinda wack on the iphone , not as fast as 3g, only when im at my pad it works the bomb courtesy of wi-fi..but EDGE SUX

Reaction score
If the other network service provider have the facility to providing 3G than yes you will be able to get that one. Suppose if you use your USA iPhone in UK and Vodafone is providing 3G than you will be able to enjoy that at there as well.

To enjoy 3G your handset should be compatible of 3G functions, software and hardware.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.16GHz C2D MacBook w/ 2GB RAM & 120GB HD. HTC Droid Incredible.
If the other network service provider have the facility to providing 3G than yes you will be able to get that one.
Not necessarily.

The only other network in the US that can support the iPhone 3G is T-Mobile. They offer 3G but it is a different frequency than what ATT uses and the iPhone can't pick up that signal. It's a hardware limitation that's preventing T-Mobile's 3G network from being used.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.