Mac crashed, installed again... now have "previous system"

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook - 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM
I was ripping a DVD last night and also surfing web and a couple other things all at same time (have 4gb memory) and the macbook crashed and was just stuck. It stayed that way for a long time, so I held down the power button and turned it off. After that, I couldnt get it to book back up. It would just stay stuck at the grey screen with the spinning wheel.

So I got out my original DVD disk and reinstalled. I do not remember how it worded it, but I did the option where it kept my previous system information.

I now have Leopard installed again and I have a folder called "previous system" and I can view my old desktop files, applications, etc..

My question is this... how do I transfer it all over so Im back to how I was? The way it is now, Im very short on hard drive space... I am now going to setup and use time machine..

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Copy whatever data, documents, music, photos, desktop files, and so forth from your "previous system" folder to your reinstalled system.

You should also reinstall all your applications, however, any documents and data associated with them from the "previous system" can be copied over. Don't attempt to copy plist files from the "previous system" applications unless you know exactly where to put them in your reinstalled system.

If you have an external drive, (you mentioned Time Machine) it might be a good idea to copy the entire "previous system folder" to it. Then, you can delete the "previous system folder" from your MacBook hard drive to free up space. Keep the previous system folder until you're sure you have everything you need copied from it.

Regards.

OP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Black Macbook - 2.2GHz, 4GB RAM
okay, thanks. Thats what Im in the process of doing right now. What about applications? Is there an easy way to just have them reinstalled? Or do I have to pull out all the discs and do it that way?

One last thing, I have a golf program called "scorecard" that kept up with all my rounds of golf's stats... where is the "program files" folder in a Mac that keeps all that information? I really do not want to loose all this info

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Applications can be a bit touchy copying so be prepared to go through the install from CD operations. Do a Spotlight for the golf program.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.