MBP nVidia 8600M GT support component signal?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
so I have a older tube TV that supports standard def 480i but via Component input. I want to use my laptop as a "dvd player" but I want to make sure that the 8600 supports component signal at 480i before I buy a dvi to component cable (as I *DO* understand the cable itself will not do any converting).

Any input would be appreciated.

OP
O
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 17" LED-Backlite display, 2.5GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 4GB memory, 512MB VRAM, 320GB HD
can anyone help me?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle
As far as I know yes it should be possible, In fact you can often over drive the resolution to the tv, I had success running up to 1024x768 to a SDTV, of course all you end up doing is making things smaller but if you are just watching video there will be no difference in quality.

Reaction score
Really, for the money you'd pay for a decent VGA or DVI/Comp. cable, you'd be better off just buying a decent HD-Upscale DVD Player for fifty bucks...

Philips makes one for about $65 that will pull all sorts of formats from a CD, DVD, USB drive or Direct link... Altogether, it's a MUCH more reliable system than basically running your TV as a huge monitor (Especially if you, like myself, enjoy surfing/chatting/etc while watching your newly pirated videos on the bigger screen, without cables running across the living room.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.