Hidden Files

Reaction score
Hi. I have got a problem:

I recently changed my harddisc to a 250GB. Everything worked out fine. One day I went to change my desktop picture, when suddenly I could not find the pictures. I checked their location in Finder and found them. I restarted my Mac, but when i then opened Finder all of my pictures, movies and music was gone. I have searched my entire computer, but they are not there. All the programs I installed and my opdates were there, but not the files. 75GB of my 250GB is still occupied though. This, I reckon, might be the files. Can anybody help me? (Not the Apple Support in Denmark)

Regards

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
I don't understand what you mean by not finding and then finding your pictures

anyway, is it by any means possible that you logged in on a different account? this way you wouldn't get acces to files of a different user

I doubt that the files are hidden, it's not hard to look at hidden files, but these are mostly hidden for a reason(!) ... to see hidden files type "ls -a" or better "ls -laF" in Terminal in each folder, there is a way to make Finder see hidden files, but I advise against that ... either way you would have to rename all your files to add a period in the beginning to make them hidden, so the problem is elsewhere

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
FileBuddy is an excellent application for showing hidden files. I agree with scathe, files are hidden for good reason, so be careful.

Try using Cmd-F from Finder, and type in the name of one of your pictures.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.