Forums and different design

Reaction score
Hi all, this will be my first post even tho I have been reading on this site for a little while now.

I have searched but have not found the answers to my questions but I may have just missed them. I saw some answers but they dated back to 06 and I want new info.

I am building a website with I-web because I can not afford to have someone to it for me in Dream Weaver or anything like that. I want to know how to not use templets so everyone knows that is an I-web job. I also want to know if I can make a forum using I-web.

Thanks for all your help and I hope to be able to be on here now and contribute what I can instead of just reading.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I guess you could start with the "white" theme and a blank page and delete the little bit it adds.

No, you can't do a forum solely with iWeb. iWeb is really for casual users who want something quick and easy. The lack of direct access to the underlying code through iWeb is evidence enough of this. In fact, the best I can see you doing is inserting an "HTML snippet".

If you really want to do web design, you will want to look into something like Coda or Espresso (get the demos to see if you like them) and Dreamweaver on the higher end. You could also do it all in a free editor like Smultron if you wanted to do so.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2008 Penryn 17in MBP
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
like the previous posters said, you will need to get and install forum software, and run it on a server

Forum packages do come with default themes, which can be altered and customised, but it requires an intermediate knowledge of html and css code, and you have to test your theme to make sure it doesn't break the running of the forum itself

OP
B
Reaction score
Thanks for the help. I am trying to figure out a good program that is not to much money but will allow me to do a lot of the work on a website myself but also lets you use HTML as well. I could do a lot of the basic stuff then a web designer could come in code and fix any issues that I need fixed. That way I don't have to pay as much but still get some things I want in my site. The other issue is being able to make things look like I want. I don't like all these templets that I see. I looked at Sandvox and some other programs. Any idea s that would fit that description?

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I looked at Sandvox and some other programs. Any idea s that would fit that description?
If you're talking in terms of programs, take a look at the ones I suggested in my first post.

OP
B
Reaction score
I should rephrase what I asked. Does anyone have any other suggestions. Trying to find them all before I buy. Thanks for all the help.

Reaction score
I like Vanilla very much because it is designed to look very much as a book... It's standard skins a far different for other forums. Otherwise phpBB3 and SMF are probably the best ones compared to other free forum software. IF anyone needs paid forums application I would vote for vbulletin.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.