Problem Moving iTunes Library

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a 12Gb iTunes library on an external hard drive. It was hooked up to my Airport Extreme as a drive, and I used to plug it directly into my wife's Macbook on the rare occasions she wanted to access the music.

That was a pain and I wanted immediate access to the library, so I moved the disk and now have it connected to an Intel Macbook Pro via USB that uses our TV as its screen and is our main source for video. I want it to be our audio source as well and use the huge library we've built so I can stop cataloguing CD's.

I followed the advice about how to do the move:

1. I made sure 'keep organised' switch is selected
2. I selected the new folder location of the 'iTunes Music' folder
3. I selected 'consolidate'. It then copied the only contents of the Macbook's library, which is about 13 episodes of a TV show, to somewhere - I know not where.

After that I could see the TV shows in iTunes but no music in the library. There was a library.xml file with the internal library in the iTunes folder, another huge library.xml file in the external iTunes folder and a third library.xml file in the external iTunes Music folder.

I restarted the mac and then restarted iTunes 5 or 6 times holding down the Alt key and trying to select the external library. Finally it came up and all my music is now available, Great! The problem is that the external library has none of the TV shows.

If I select the internal library I get only the TV shows (downloaded from iTunes Store). If I select the external library I get the music but not the Tv shows.

How can I resolve this to have one external library with both music and TV shows?

Ken.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.