Can I increase the input parameters to accept my typing style?

Reaction score
My only problem with my G5's setup and configuration is the rate at which it accepts my typing input. I type at sixty-five words per minute. I have Final Draft, and Stickies and Firefox and Safari.

In all these programs, when I need to type something, that is conveying what's on my mind, I want to get that information from my brain onto the "page." So, I'm typing along, at my usual top speed and I continually have to stop and wait for the machine to catch up to me. I know there are people who type faster than me, and I suspect they have the same problem, only worse.

Is there a way I can increase the system's data input buffer or something so I don't have to stop and wait for the words to show up on the input pane? When I'm passionate about a subject, the words want to flow out of me in a torrent, I don't need dams blocking my river of words.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
I wonder if in fact your computer may be a bit bogged with something. How much memory (RAM) have you on board, how many applications are operating simultaneously, and what is your G5's processor speed?

I can't type at the same speed as you, but I'm no snail either. The only way text 'stalls' is, just for example, if I try to type text into a search field while a web page is still loading, or if I have graphic-intensive apps open, and screen refresh is occurring. There's only so much the (G4) processor can handle at once.

Try using TextEdit (low memory demand) to see if you can stall that. Then try MS Word, then a few others, to draw comparisons.

OP
N
Reaction score
I think...

I think the ram is 1.5 gigabytes (megabytes?) I had them install another increment of ram when I purchased the computer, which cost an extra $200.00. So, it might be 2.5 gigabytes.

I experience the input lag on Final Draft, as well as on Firefox. It's happening as I type this, for some reason.

On my previous mac, a clone, actually, there was a place, something obvious that allowed me to allocate ram, somehow, but I cannot find that option on this machine.

I'm about to upgrade to the new os, so maybe they'll have fixed this problem on the newer version

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini 14.3, 8.1 & 4.1, OS 13.5, 10.14, & 10.11 & 10.6; Macbook Pro 8.2, OS 10.12.
Allocation of RAM to functions in OS X is no longer possible. OS X shoves RAM where it detects necessity. Under OS 9 one could allocate RAM - very handy.

1.5 Gb of RAM would be ample for text processing, providing you weren't trying to operate about 6 other heavy-demand applications simultaneously.

Do you use your G5 for games, and if so, do you notice any display lag? What sort of monitor are you using?

If the problem persists under the upgraded OS, consider checking, or have checked by an Apple tech, the video card.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2,4Ghz 15" unibody
following on what hughvane suggested, try opening up only a word processing application, start with Text Edit, then move to something like Pages or OpenOffice ... use only the one application to see if it still lags

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.