mount ext. HD connected to PC

Reaction score
I'm a newbie; I've had my MacBook for just 1 week :)

I want to us the external hard drive connected to my desktop PC as the backup place for Time Machine. I found this link which explains the process pretty clearly I think; however 1) the volume never appears on my desktop, and 2) it doesn't show up as a volume I can select in Time Machine.

• when mounted, the PC shows up in Finder (but not the external HD)
  • I tried dragging and dropping the folder that is the HD to the desktop, with no luck
  • I can click the black triangle thingy to unmount the PC
  • I can see the PC in Finder whether it is "mounted" or not.

One potential problem is that when I ran thru the process the first time, I put in a login for the PC that shouldn't have been valid (i.e., there was no such user defined on the PC). I didn't get an error message though. I'd like to try changing the login used during the mount procedure but can't figure out how to get that window again.

Many thanks for anyone who can help me!
Terri Z

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Performa 6116 2GBSCSI 8MB OS 7.5.3
Open /Applications/Utilities/Key Chain Access

Delete entries in the Login (or your username) Keychain that reference that PC

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you! That did the trick. Plus I found that to show a mounted drive on the desktop, I just needed to change the Finder preferences.

Off to try Time Machine now!

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.