Question about switching from PC

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This is my first post on the boards and Im wanting to switch from a PC to a Macbook but had some questions on the hardware. I have a windows PC with a Core 2 Duo processor 1.83GHz FSB 667 MHz and 3 GB of DDR2 memory. I am looking at buying a cheap new/used macbook white or find a unibody macbook on eBay. The question i have is I will need this Mac to run me through college so I dont want a unit that will be worse than what I already have. I want a fast Mac.
Also, what kind of performance difference does the increase to 1066MHz FSB on the new macbooks have over the older 667MHz macbooks? Will it be noticeable to a casual user?
Lastly, is the unibody macbook worth the extra money? I know it has a better graphics card and screen but is it worth the money for a starving college kid? Thanks for all your help.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
just set a budget and see what you can get with it. The unibody and new white (2009) macbooks are better, especially with the graphics card, but its down to what you can afford

Have you tried getting education discount on the new white macbook? Also check out the apple refurb store

Refurbished Mac - Apple Store (U.S.)

What are you going to be using it for?

Student Discount - Apple Store (U.S.)

OP
E
Reaction score
I looked at the student discount and my college, Illinois Wesleyan, isnt supported. Id love to find a refurb or used macbook on eBay. Any ideas on that?

Ill be using the Mac for iTunes, surfing, MS Office and school work. I dont plan on using the graphic intense apps but it'd be nice to know I could if needed.

PS, do the new macbook whites have the same graphics card as the unibody? Are the differences just faster RAM and 40 GB HDD space?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac Mini Core i7 2012 | White 2009 MacBook 2 Ghz | 733 Mhz G4 Quicksilver
odd that your college isn't supported, have you tried phoning Apple?

Anyways, there is not much spec difference between the 2009 white and unibody MacBooks, both have the better graphics processor, the main difference is that the white macbooks still have a Firewire port

Keep an eye on the Apple refurb site, its basically a new mac and still comes with the full warranty

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP 2.4, 4GB RAM, 320GB HD @7200// iBook G3 300MHZ!, 512MB RAM!, 40GB HD!
IMO the white macbooks are a great deal since the revision. (plus you get a style thats been out for a while unlike the unibodys which still have a few kinks)

And firewire is awesome.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24"
I would suggest going to the Apple store somewhere nearby and just picking up the different models. You can get a feel for if you would rather live with the white or unibody model.

Personally, I like the ruggedness of the unibody design and feel that getting a refurbished model is well worth it. I have bought refurbished in the past and had no problems.

Plus consider your timing. This is mid product cycle for the current macbooks. If you can wait you could try to pick them up cheap when the new products are released. Just keep your eyes peeled for when that is.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.