Powermac g4 MDD Upgrade info

Reaction score
Hey everyone I'm new to the forums. I wanted to upgrade the powermac g4 MDD thats coming in the mail, I want to upgrade the entire thing to it's full MAX and needed to know what parts I'm going to need and what model for the parts too, if you guys can provide that then many thanks.

Ben

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
What specs are the machine you are getting?

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
We can't tell you what to upgrade until we know what the specs are.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
When you get the MDD click on the Apple in the Top Left Corner of the Toolbar and let us know what the specs are. MDD's as far as CPU upgrades are very limited. Other things can be maxxed out like RAM and Hard Drives and Optical Drives and a better Video Card USB 2.0 Ports.

Let us know as soon as you get it and we will point you to the right place for your upgrades.

OWC (Otherworld Computers) is a good place to look for upgrades for the MDD that work and are Guaranteed.

OP
B
Reaction score
OK, Turns out it was Quicksilver, it has 256 MB ram and 733mhz PPC G4, I wanna run leopard so I wanna completely max it's states to the full. So....

OP
B
Reaction score
I also wanna upgrade the hard drive, and when I upgrade form panther to leopard is it possible to erase everything from the entire computer

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Quicksilver 733 does not meet Leopard requirement of an 867MHz processor minimum. Sure there are way around this but you would be disappointed with the result, especially with that 256MB memory.

Update to 1.5GB using Apple compatible PC133 memory, not PC high density, and buy a full retail install version (black DVD) of Tiger OS X.4, not grey model specific discs.

You can upgrade the HDD with any IDE compatible drive but that model will only recognise up to 128GB, unless you go to the expense of a PCI controller card.

dtravis7

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MacMini M-1 MacOS Monterey, iMac 2010 27"Quad I7 , MBPLate2011, iPad Pro10.5", iPhoneSE
You can upgrade the CPU to a 1.8Ghz G4 and even a Dual G4 but the upgrades that are fast enough to run Leopard are not cheep.

OP
B
Reaction score
You can upgrade the CPU to a 1.8Ghz G4 and even a Dual G4 but the upgrades that are fast enough to run Leopard are not cheep.

I wanna get the 1.8GHZ, what model is it, do I just say to the store "Can I get a ******* 1.8GHZ Dual G4 for powermac g4 quicksilver"?

OP
B
Reaction score
I wanna also clean the insides of the mac because it is so dusty and unclean on the inside, what should I buy to clean the whole thing? (LOL No miss spelt words cause mac has spell check unlike windows)

OP
B
Reaction score
I wanna also clean the insides of the mac because it is so dusty and unclean on the inside, what should I buy to clean the whole thing? (LOL No miss spelt words cause mac has spell check unlike windows)

What cleaning tools should I buy to clean the insides?

OP
B
Reaction score
Also if I upgrade the ram and hard drive do I throw old ram and hard drive and processor away or keep it?

OP
B
Reaction score
Fresh confirmation

One last post, please reply. Ok so all I need to do is upgrade to anyone of those processors listed, upgrade ram to 1.5GB, Hard drive to 80GB or 100GB and thats all to run leopard,ilife 09 and iwork 09 100 percent perfect? Or do I need a new graphics card? If so winch one? Oh and lastly I have already got 512MB of ram so I need two more piece, but when I upgrade to leopard, and if I click erase all memory at the beginning of the installation will all the original 512MB content disappear because this is refurbished and I want it to have no content except os leopard and ilife and iwork.

Please reply, I need to know.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Between this and your piracy of OS X.4 question you are pulling our collective leg!

OP
B
Reaction score
And also for PCI USB and Firewire cards do they need to be mac compatible or can I just get any PCI card?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.