Moving from PDA to iPod Touch

Reaction score
I'm seriously thinking about moving from my Palm PDA to a Touch but have a question.
First I am currently a Mac user which is the main reason for my wanting to switch. Just want to clear that up.
What it really come down to is capacity.
I think I might need the 32GB but would rather pay for 16gb.
My question is, can you dedicate a certain amount of memory to say music, while dedicating another portion to pictures and apps? That way when I sync, I could put fresh music on the Touch while keeping my pictures as is.
Any help will be greatly appreciated. Especially those who are currently doing what I am considering.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
You use iTunes to control what goes on your iPod. Any songs that are checked are synced and those that are not will not be synced. When you plug in your iPod, you will get a preferences page that will allow you to control what content gets synced (aside from your music).

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Aluminium MacBook | iPod Touch
As far as PDA needs and value goes, I think you should get 16 GB model.
Yes, iTunes is powerful sync tool.

But trust me, w/o the phone feature, it feels really really limited. Especially if you dont have a lot of hotspots around.

One thing, images on iPod are much larger than their size on the computer, as far as I have notoced. File-Format difference?

You could look out for a used iPhone if you are limited by budget. You might see loads of those on eBay once the 2 year contract ends.. Maybe.

OP
V
Reaction score
Iphone is really out of the question.

Three reasons I won't get an iPhone:
1. I am much too rough when it comes to phones. I had a palm Treo which was destroyed as the other previous phones. I ended up getting a mil spec phone which has served me well,even while Kayaking, Hiking etc.
2. We are still under contract with Verizon which brings us to..
3. Despite Verizon's Draconian limits on their phones and pathetic customer service, they do have great reception.
In the future, if Verizon adopts the iPhone or better yet, ATT coverage area improves, I might get an iPhones for the wife and myself.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
Three reasons I won't get an iPhone:
1. I am much too rough when it comes to phones. I had a palm Treo which was destroyed as the other previous phones. I ended up getting a mil spec phone which has served me well,even while Kayaking, Hiking etc.
2. We are still under contract with Verizon which brings us to..
3. Despite Verizon's Draconian limits on their phones and pathetic customer service, they do have great reception.
In the future, if Verizon adopts the iPhone or better yet, ATT coverage area improves, I might get an iPhones for the wife and myself.

1) I was the same as you when it came to phones. I've never had one I didn't trash in the first 5 months of ownership, none. That being said, I've had my iPhone since last July and while I've had 1 close call, it's still in tip top shape. Maybe I'm just more careful, maybe the phone is tougher than it looks, maybe a combination of both.

2) I was too, in fact my wife and daughter are still on Verizon until their contracts expire. Verizon will charge you an early termination fee if you leave, but if it's less than a year the fee will be less that $100. Mine was $75.

3) I do agree there, Verizon's service was much better. I almost never dropped calls with them. AT&T, not so much. I'm not sorry I switched though. AT&Ts customer service, at least for me, has been exemplary and Verizon could learn some things from them even. Apple is even more draconian than Verizon when it comes to the iPhone and the odds of an iPhone on Verizon anytime soon, while open to debate, are slim to none.

All that being said, you'll be disappointed with an iTouch as a PDA.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
3.4 Ghz i7 MacBook Pro (2015), iPad Pro (2014), iPhone Xs Max. Apple TV 4K
You said:

Could you explain as to why?

My POV comes from the fact that I moved to the iPhone from a Palm Trop 700P phone with Verizon. I moved from a PDA phone to a PDA phone in essence. To be frank, I would hate a plain old non-phone Palm as a PDA too. After having the best of both worlds in one device, I couldn't go back to having a stand alone PDA such as an iPod Touch or a Palm.

Maybe my last statement should be retracted since you are not moving from a PDA Phone to a PDA but from a PDA to a PDA.

OP
V
Reaction score
I'm starting to change my mind.

A couple of buddies at work really like their iPhones so I thought I'd look into it a bit further.
It seems ATT already handles my TV,DSL, and phone. I'm thinking that a package deal may be more economical.
I would have to buy new phones for the wife, Mom, and myself. My wife doesn't like her Treo anyway, and really wants internet access. Her Treo has internet but its just slow and hard to navigate,etc.
I'll prod her again today.

OP
V
Reaction score
Thanks Everybody

Well I made a "temporary" decision.
I just bought a refurbished 8GB Touch.
I figure I can learn whether or not I like it without the contract and all.
I realize that without the phone its a different animal, but I originally wanted to replace my PDA anyway.
Looking in the iTunes store, I've already found four apps that cover my most used features on the PDA. Plus my PDA is a pain to sync with the Mac.
Thanks again,
Jimmy

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.