Open source equivalents to endnote on MS word for Mac

Reaction score
Hello folks,

Does anyone have any experience of using open source equivalents to endnote on MS word?

I tried using Jabref and BibDesk to compile references in MS word, but it doesn't seem to be possible to link them to Word, I mean, to get them to generate the reference you want in word automatically, using the code assigned to the reference. All you can do (I think) is copy the reference from Jabref or BibDesk and paste it into word - but that loses some of the reference, ie date. Also, if that's all you can do then it seems a bit pointless having the program. It would be easier just to copy and paste from another word document.

Am I doing something really stupid?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
you could try zotero. i havent used it yet but I just found it and integrated it to my MS office for mac. seems pretty easy to use so far :)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I live and breath Mendeley. Although it crashes a little more than I'd like it to (it's gotten better with updates), it's really easy to use. It has a Word plugin and it works like Evernote in that references are synced to an online client so you can maintain a list of references across machines and platforms. They also have an iOS client which is great if you need to check references while browsing a library (as I commonly do). The fact that they have clients for Windows and Linux as well is icing on the cake.

Does it have to be OSS?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.