Projectors ?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Powerbook G4 15"
Bit of a random one this, but I was thinking rather than trying to keep up with the ever-changing LCD, Plasma, OLED TV evolution I was wondering what todays projectors are like?

I have had a look on the Apple web site and they have two for roughly £800 and £2000. But going back to my days in school (i.e. crappy overhead projectors with those transparent sheets) to the projector in college (probably 12-ish years old) all I can recall is a generally insipid image.

Anyway, I digress, if I were to spend £800 on a projector - bearing in mind I currently have a 3 year old 27" Samsung LCD (Samsung I consider to be great picture quality) - what is the viewing quality of a projector like? should I look to spend more like £2000? It would be used in my living room which is your typical living room, the curtains can be drawn but I hardly want to be sat in a black hole or turn it into some sort of cinema. I would use a screen that could be retracted to the ceiling. The distance from where I have in mind the projector to where the screen would be is approx 3.5 to 4m which through my limited knowledge I think would project a screen of approx 100-120 inch.

It would be used for TV, DVD, Xbox360 and Wii purposes and use a home cinema system for audio.

Reaction score
Projection beats screens 10 times over IMO.

If you want one visible in daylight you need to spend more £$£$£$

If you have the money you may want to consider 'curved projection', but they cost £10,000+

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.