OSX 2.8 with Final Cut problem

Reaction score
Hi!

At my university I managed to pick up an old G4 Mac power PC model number M5183, Its running Final Cut 3 and has a 50 gig hard drive, and 2 gig of Ram.

The operating system is only OSX 2.8 though!

I need to know what I can upgrade to ie OS X .3 or OSX.4?

And If I do will it wipe off the final cut program installed? As I don't have any of the boot up discs!

Many thanks for your time.

David

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
Save all the programs you need on a new disk and install whichever OS you want then put in the CD and install the programs.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
You cannot upgrade to OS X.3 Panther or OS X.4 Tiger without purchasing full retail install DVD's, which are a black coloured disc and do not buy the silver grey coloured system restore discs. They are exclusively model specific.

When you have the disc of whatever system you wish to install, use Archive and Install. All your old software and files will be in a folder entitled 'Old System software' or similar.

Be aware this may not work with your software. You may well be asked for a new install, including key codes, passwords etc. The machine should not have come to you with any software installed without the original discs.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.