iMac has become slower

Reaction score
Hi, I have had my iMac since sep 07 and it has suddenly had a few problems. Firstly, all my itunes info (music, Playlists, podcast etc) were deleted. I started iTunes and a prompt came up which said that the files were of the wrong format. Now itunes is running slow, if another program is "thinking" (The pinwheel) itunes will pause. iTunes also pauses randomly during some songs for anywhere between 2 secs to 10 secs. the songs also use to run on from each other without any pause but now there is a long pause between songs. All my other programs are running slower than usual and i am seeing more of the pin wheel than i have ever seen.
I have not installed any new programs and have ample HDD left.

My Macs stats are:2 GHzIntel Core 2 Duo, 1GB Memory and 250GB HDD

Please help i dont like having a slow computer(that is why i got a MAC)

Thanks

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
I would suggest the following attempts (in order)to remedy your issue..

I'm not sure how familiar you are with Mac's.. Is it possible that you are not "quitting" the applications that you are using? You may have a multitude of apps running if you are merely closing the app windows and not quitting them. If this is the case, you problems would be due to all the apps sucking down your 1GB of RAM.

Second: Use ONYX or MainMenu (both free) and run the maintenance scripts on the system.

if that (along with a restart) doesn't solve the problem...

Third: Install more RAM... I would suggest 2GB (2 x 1GB).

Hope that helps.

and.. Welcome to M-F ;)

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Second: Use ONYX or
mainmenu
(both free) and run the maintenance scripts on the system.
Here is the link to MainMenu, the second piece of software.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
Should have gotten a MacBook Pro.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
That's not very constructive. I have a MB and it runs really well. It doesn't take a MBP to run iTunes well (not to mention a lot of other software). Care to justify your claim?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.4 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo MacBook Pro
Well the iMac is not so great. But though, I have to admit that iMac has some things that MacBook will never have.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Why is not so great? Those specs are more than ample to run iTunes. And true, the iMac has things the MB won't but the MB has things the iMac won't such as portability.

I have digressed though. Jsmith50, have you tried to run those programs? How is the problem/solution coming along?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.66Ghz Penryn C2D iMac
Well the iMac is not so great. But though, I have to admit that iMac has some things that MacBook will never have.

My iMac would be a faster machine than a MBP with specs like yours, so I digress, where is your data to back this claim?

Did your iMac start doing this after an update of some kind? Maybe after you updated iTunes?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Let's not get into the 'Mine is bigger than yours' fantasy boys!

As suggested download and run Main menu.

OP
J
Reaction score
Hey,
I downloaded and used both these programs and they did not help. I go home (im at uni) soon and i will take my mac to the mac shop- hopefully they can find what is happening. I may simply need more RAM...
Thanks to everyone who helped i wish that the programs had worked..

P.S. A few of my friends have had MB's and MBP and out of the 5 ppl i know with one 3 have broke down on them within a year of purchase. I feel that my iMac has done way better then the MB and MBP...

Thanks for all your help
xo J

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Let's not get into the 'Mine is bigger than yours' fantasy boys!
What's the fun in that ;)?

Hey,
I downloaded and used both these programs and they did not help. I go home (im at uni) soon and i will take my mac to the mac shop- hopefully they can find what is happening. I may simply need more RAM...
Thanks to everyone who helped i wish that the programs had worked..
RAM is a good bet especially if you are experiencing slowdowns.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
imac 24'' 2.66ghz 4gigs ram
more ram would like solve lots of problems.2gigs is much needed these days.also backround applications running use a lot of ram

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.