8GB on the new UMBP 2.93GHZ

Reaction score
Hey guys.
Just wanted to confirm that 8GB memory on the 15" UMBP 2.93 GHz is really working and works like charm. I installed OWC modules and works just fine up until now. Even though they didnt say specifically for 15", but it works!!

My guess is that 2.66 15" UMBP can also fit 8GB. Haven't tried it though.

Hope this clears answers about 8GB on the 15" UMBP

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
MBP i7, Mac Mini & iPhone 3G.
What happens when you access over 6GB?

OP
M
Reaction score
What do you mean access over 6GB? I'm doing OK here in my MBP.. The activity monitor shows full 8GB fully detected.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
All MacBook Pros can detect 8GB. The problem is when they access over 6GB (start using more than 6GB) they become unstable.

OP
M
Reaction score
Not in my MacBook Pro. I've been running on 8GB for almost a day non stop now. This thing works really nice. I ran VMWare with Vista simultaneously and rendering some movies with iMovie.

The activity monitor shows 8GB to me and its definitely stable.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mac's
Not in my MacBook Pro. I've been running on 8GB for almost a day non stop now. This thing works really nice. I ran VMWare with Vista simultaneously and rendering some movies with iMovie.

The activity monitor shows 8GB to me and its definitely stable.

B&O isn't questioning that Activity Monitor SHOWS 8gb... The question is rather.. What happens when you are USING more than 6GB or RAM... When you look at the Activity Monitor, and the total of "Active" and "Wired" is GREATER than 6GB... This is when the MBP begins to have problems... It has no problems "reading" 8GB whatsoever... It's problem is when it attempts to USE 8GB.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Ride is spot on, they all can read 8GB but using it is another story.

OP
M
Reaction score
I got no problem or whatsoever right up until now. At least no issue my MBP becoming unstable etc. Works great.

B&O

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
But the questions is, have you actually used more than 6GB of RAM? The system will be fine with 8GB but as soon as you uses over 6GB the system starts to run into problems.

OP
M
Reaction score
In fact, as I am writing this, my used memory in activity monitor shows 6.87GB used and 1.11GB free. I've been using my macbook pro for over 2 hrs and no problems or whatsoever. No crash or kernel panics. It's been great. By far, 8GB shows no problem to me. Everything works great.

Reaction score
@macfrik I would absolutely love it if you could post a screenshot with more than 6 gigs being used. Thanks in advance.

Reaction score
8 gb cool.

Very cool. By the way he really only needed to go above 4gb to test if the chip works. In previous 8gb Macbook Tests it went crazy after 4gbs. ...

Reaction score
will an upgrade to 8GB be possible on my 2.53Ghz?

Just need to find out will the 8GB upgrade work with a 2.53Ghz MBP too? without software firmware upgrades etc?ie straight from the ram box so to speak?

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.