mac overheating with mabinogi

Reaction score
hi. i play mabinogi on vista home basic via boot camp on my macbook pro (intel core 2 duo).

the only problem is that the laptop really overheats and the fans start to spin a lot. i tried using smc fan control to raise the minimum fan speed from a default of 2000 to 5000 rpm. the temperature doesnt seem as hot but i dont want to have to tinker with my fans and overwork them if i dont have to.

anyone else having this problem? is it better for my laptop to just leave it on the default min fan speed or should i change it?

if i leave it on default, will my computer shut down due to overheating and/or damage my computer?

if i change it, what min fan speed is optimal? thanks

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
First off, it's not overheating. If it was overheating, the machine would turn off by itself.

Secondly, SMCfancontrol is completely unnecessary as the fans are thermostatically controlled, with tolerances dictated by the smart firmware in your MacBook Pro. Using a program like SMC essentially second guesses the engineers that designed your notebook, running the fans faster or more frequently than they need to be, potentially shortening their service life.

What you can and should look out for is how you're using your MacBook Pro. Apple very clearly states that it should only be used on a hard, level surface (i.e. not your lap). So if you need to use it that way when you play, purchase a laptop cooling pad.

OP
N
Reaction score
okay so i guess i'll use as is, without smcfan control. i was just worried because the computer was getting SO HOT and the fans SO FAST that it might damage some of the internal components but i guess i was overreacting. as for the lap thing, i always use it on my very flat desk.:)

anyway thanks for the suggestion.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Keep in mind that aluminum, unlike plastic, is an excellent conductor. So, while you might have had laptops in the past that ran at similar temps, they probably didn't get so hot externally because the plastic acted as an insulator.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.