2.40 or 2.0ghz for gaming?

Reaction score
I've been deciding whether to get the 2.0 or 2.4ghz aluminum macbook. Memory space is not an issue. I just want to know if the 2.0ghz can play games like Counter Strike Source, Left 4 Dead, DoTA, Sims 3, Spore, and maybe oblivion.

Any ideas?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
My old 1.83Ghz Macbook Pro could play Spore and Oblivion pretty well, so I'd assume a faster computer with DDR3 ram (my MBP had DDR2) and a good video card would be able to play them with few problems.

Reaction score
L4D is the only game on there that I might think that the 2.4 would be better. Since its an online game you'll probably want the best specs possible. Other than that you should be fine.

Also, if you want to play any games coming out soon you'll probably want to get the 2.4 GHz.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2.8Ghz MBP
With L4D would you be playing under windows or the Cider port that's been floating around. The Cider port doesn't support online play with Steam, but yea the point is if you have the extra few bucks the 2.4 will serve you better for longer. I'd go with that.

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
Honestly, most games don't tax the CPU as much as they do the GPU. 400Mhz difference really isn't much. Also Source-engine games don't tax computers like they used to when the engine was first released. Personally, I'd say the money.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.