• The Mac-Forums Community Guidelines (linked at the top of every forum) are very clear, we respect US law and court precedence when it comes to legality of activity.

Therefore to clarify:
    • You may not discuss breaking DVD or BluRay encryption, copying, or "ripping" commercial, copy-protected DVDs.
    • This includes DVDs or BluRays you own. Even if you own the DVD or BluRay, it is still technically illegal under the DMCA to break the encryption. While some may argue otherwise, until the law is rewritten or the US Supreme Court strikes it down, we will adhere to the current intent of the law.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying unprotected movies or homemade DVDs.
    • You may discuss ripping or copying tools in the context that they are used for legal purposes as outlined in this post.

DVD Studio Pro Formatting problems

Reaction score
Hello,

For some reason whenever I format to my DVD drive, the pop up tells me everything was successful, I can visually see by looking at the disk that there is something on it, but every dvd player, copy and even my mac says the disk is empty. Am I doing something wrong?

I'm getting through hundreds of DVDs trying different ideas!!

Please help... :-(

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 4G memory
Studio Pro problem

Your problem sounds exactly like the one I'm running into today. After switching to a new Intel iMac DVD Studio Pro is having major problems. My version, 3.0.2, is not Intel compatible.

It eventually saved a VIDEO_TS file but does not find the blank disk to burn. It will burn a data disk however.

I have tried a program called Burn (from Maarten Foukhar, http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net) which will burn the DVD but it is formatted at 4:3 and I needed 16:9.

Toast might be our only, expensive, option.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iMac 24" 2.8Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo w/ 4G memory
More on Maarten Foukhar's Burn app.

Burn version 2.1u(18) did allow me to burn DVD Studio Pro 3's file using the 16:9 format. My file is very simple: no menus, no chapters, just a short wide screen movie. In DVDSP I set the movie to play 16:9 and loop. In Burn's perfs I made sure 16:9 and loop were set up. Everything works as expected.

Burn is a shareware that works for me now that upgrading DVDSP for the Intel processor has been dropped by Apple.

http://burn-osx.sourceforge.net/

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.