Restore a single picture

Reaction score
Good Morning,

How would I restore a single picture to iPhoto from time machine backup?

Thank You,

Kevin

OP
K
Reaction score
how to restore a single photo from time machine

Hello,

I think maybe I was in the wrong forum when I asked this question.
How can I restore a single photo from a time machine backup to iPhoto?
I cannot seem to find any photos in the back up which will list separately.

Thank You,

Kevin

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you start iphoto first then time machine and just browse through the photos whilst moving back in time (so to speak) until you find the one that you want then just select restore?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
13" MBA. 15" MBP. iPhone 4. 3G Pad 2.
Yes you do.
Open iPhoto on screen before opening TM, go back till you find it > select the Picture > Restore.
S.

OP
K
Reaction score
Good Morning,

That was so easy! I tried the same logic for an iTunes song, but it does not work. What is the method for an iTunes song restore?

Thank You,

Kevin

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Open iPhoto > Open TM > Find photo > Select Photo > Restore.
Done :)
S.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
When you go to import the photo, you will actually have to browse the folders manually on your TM HD as opposed to retrieving it through TM. You will have to do this because, AFAIK, you can not show the contents of packages through TM. You can do it however through Finder sans TM.

For me, if I wanted to get a picture from a specific date, I would open my TM HD in Finder, go to the "Backups.backupdb" folder > <name of Mac> > <folder with date> > navigate to iPhoto library (~/Pictures/) > right click and choose "Show Package Contents" > Originals (or modified if the picture you want was modified) > traverse folder to the one you want.

It's a PITA but it's the only way I know of doing this.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Hopefully you set iTunes Prefs > Advanced to Keep iTunes Music folder organised, it will help you find lost ones.

Open Finder > User > Music > iTunes > iTunes Music
Open TM > Find music > Select & Restore. Fingers crossed on that one as I haven't tried it.
S.

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
Good Morning,

That was so easy! I tried the same logic for an iTunes song, but it does not work. What is the method for an iTunes song restore?

Thank You,

Kevin
iTunes songs are not in a package like the iPhoto library so you can simply traverse your iTunes folder (~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music) to get your song back.

OP
K
Reaction score
That worked fine. Opening file then accessing TM. I have one more mystery. When I access itunes music in the finder or in TM and I look up an artist, only some of the albums are listed. When I use the search function on the top right and type in the artist name, then all the albums/songs appear. Why are they not listed? One example is I loaded on a three disc set and iTunes lists as 'Just for you disc 1, just for you disc 2, just for you disc 3. In the finder only "just for you disc 1 appears for this artist. I remember when I loaded them on I copied the complete album the same way for all three discs. What am I doing wrong?

Thank You,

Kevin

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.