Is it legal to sell academic edition software if I sell it to a student?

Reaction score
I have an almost new Power Mac MDD G4 with MS Office for Mac Academic edition. If I make sure that the buyer is a student (or other academic) by demanding that they email me from a university email address, then am I allowed to sell it second hand?

Or is it against the law to sell academic software second hand?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
iPod Nano 4gb, 20" 2.66 GHz Core 2 Duo, 2GB of ram, ATI HD 2600 pro
I think as long as there is nothing printed on the disc or on the documentation saying that you are not allowed to do so. I have many software disks that I bought through my community college where I got them for way less than half price but they are only for me and that is clearly printed all over the disk. I think as long as it does not say I think you should be in the clear.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Unibody MacBook 2.4GHz/4GB Ram/320GB HD
Best to read the EULA.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Here's a link to the EULA for MS Office 2008 Home and Student edition: Link

The way I read it, you may transfer it to a third party provided you remove it from your machine, do not keep a copy anywhere, and transfer all disks, keys, and documentation to the third party. Again, the way I read the EULA, the third party does not necessarily have to be a student.

But you need to read it for yourself and decide. Any questions, I suggest you call MS customer service and ask.

Regards.

OP
T
Reaction score
Thank you for the link.

Yes, sale does seem to be possible.
"TRANSFER TO A THIRD PARTY. The first user of the software may transfer it, and this agreement, directly to a third party. Before the transfer, that party must agree that this agreement applies to the transfer and use of the software. The first user must uninstall the software before transferring it separately from the device. The first user may not retain any copies."

And ealier in the agreement it says
"You must be a “Qualified Educational User” to use software marked as “Academic Edition”"

So I can transfer to another user so long as I don't keep a copy (I'm a PC user so there is no danger) and the new user is a student.

Thanks again.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Silver M1 iMac 512/16/8/8 macOS 11.6
Interesting.

Office 2008 is described as 'Home and Student Edition'.

Office 2004 is described as the 'Academic Edition' and as the wording mentions students and teachers, guess the answer is no to the former and yes to the latter?

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Al iMac 20" 2.4Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo
In the real world, you can sell it to whoever you like.

Nobody will bat an eylid.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.