Airport issues with my G3 iBook

Reaction score
My faithful G3 iBook running 4.11 was getting on the internet perfectly using the Wi-Fi system in the RV resort that I work and live in. Until three days ago there were no passwords required to get online, but due to the neighbors outside the park hogging our signal they implemented a password. No matter how many times I enter the new password is comes up as an error so unlike all the PC users who are soaring with the new password, I'm dead in the water. I was told that I have to remove every reference to the name of the resort in my airport list (DURANGO RV RESORT) wipe it all clean so that the computer will not recognize that name when I fire it up for the first time after clearing it out. Then when I enter in the password it should take it. meanwhile, I've tried everything to do that with no success. Could someone walk me through the steps to make it happen? Thanks... James

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
What type of security encryption are they using? WEP? WPA? WPA2?

Also can you be more specific on which model G3 iBook you have? The reason I ask is that the older G3 iBook machines only supported 802.11B which might mean the only encryption method it can handle is WEP. (I'm not versed on your model - so perhaps someone else can give you a better answer.)

If I'm right about that and your RV camp is using a more sophisticated method of encryption (also safer) you may be locked out. In other words if they're employing WPA or higher. Your machine may only be able to handle WEP, but again I'm not sure of that.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Thanks chscag:

My ibook is a 700 MHz 10.4.11 Power PC G3 w/ 640 MB RAM, CPU 750 (1.12). It uses Airport Card Firmware vs 9.52. I think you may be correct about the encryption. The Resort uses WPA Personal. This is bad news for me if my computer will not read this. However when I go into Airport and try and create a new network a drop down list gives me several WPA options but when I try and set it up and select WPA personal I still get locked out. If you're theory is correct is there anyway to modify this computer to accept WPA? I'm on good terms with the IT man here. Is it reasonable for me to request that he change the encryption to WEP, or would that mess everyone else up? i hate to spend money on a newer Mac when this one is sill so together other than this issue Thanks again for your expertise... JV

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
Hi:

According to Mactracker your machine airport card is only capable of 802.11B, and as I suspected can not employ an encryption scheme higher than WEP. That's why even though you can "see" the network you can't log on.

It would not be a good idea for the IT guy at the RV camp to change WPA to WEP as that would put the entire network at risk. So I think you should rule that out.

What you might try: Locate a USB wireless adapter for your iBook, one that supports the faster protocol (802.11G or N) and software to use WPA or higher encryption.

I found this adapter which will work with your iBook. It also includes software. A bit pricey, so I suggest you do some shopping around. In any event it's a lot less than purchasing a new machine! :)

Link

Let us know how it goes.

Regards.

OP
J
Reaction score
Many thanks for your help. I have pursued the link and will let you know how this all turns out. I do have a very new MacBook Pro 17" that I'm using in the interim that is getting through this problem, but I use it primarily as a music platform and don't go online with it as a rule unless I must.

James :)

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.