What do you think about the firewall?

Reaction score
I can't find a lot of technical info about the Leopard firewall. Not to say that there isn't info out there - the problem is my slow dialup doesn't get around very fast.
I have used a Smoothwall (Linux) firewall for several years, although Debian doesn't need a lot of protection (and I would never let a Windows machine see the 'Net.) I also know that Leopard (aka BSD Unix) doesn't need much either. I just think that the more protection the better.

So, my questions are... Are Mac folks using the built in firewall, an external firewall, or just running barefoot? And what do you think about the Leopard firewall if you are using it?

Anybody?
Konan

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I use the standard firewall and haven't had any trouble with it, although I do run it in stealth mode and like to manually set sever connections. Here's Apple's documentation for it:

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard: About the Application Firewall

Leopard's firewall is actually ipfw, and there's a number of options under the skin that you might find handy. For details, do:

Code:
man ipfw

...in the terminal.

Also, if you'd like a GUI front-end, check out:

WaterRoof ipfw firewall frontend

vansmith

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Mini (2014, 2018, 2020), MBA (2020), iPad Pro (2018), iPhone 13 Pro Max, Watch (S6)
I don't personally use it as I am very cautious about what I do and don't do in terms of my activity on the internet. That said, I probably should (I'm not perfect).

You seem to understand the *nix world and I would therefore encourage you to explore the intricacies of the firewall if you are really concerned. I wouldn't usually recommend this but I gather from your original post that you are fairly confident with your *nix skills.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.