Is there a program on our Macs...

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
That shows you where all your hard drive space is being used?
Maybe a chart or pie graph that shows the different areas where space is being used and by what programs.

Did I make ANY sense???

Jon

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That shows you where all your hard drive space is being used?
Maybe a chart or pie graph that shows the different areas where space is being used and by what programs. Did I make ANY sense??? Jon

No built in application, unfortunately. However, all is not lost... download and install the free "Disk Inventory X". Link

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
Late 2013 rMBP, i7, 750m gpu, OSX versions 10.9.3, 10.10
You could use du, which is a command line tool you can access through the terminal, but it definitely won't be as pretty nor as easy to use, but it is there in a pinch :D

OP
Suzie68
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
27" imac 2.66 1T 8GB
No built in application, unfortunately. However, all is not lost... download and install the free "Disk Inventory X". Link

Regards.

Thanks!
that works very slick

Jon

cwa107

Retired Staff
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
14" MacBook Pro M1 Pro, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD
I would recommend WhatSize, which gives you the details on a directory-by-directory basis. I like Disk Inventory X, but while it looks interesting, it doesn't give me the kind of detail I want.

chscag

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
2017 27" iMac, 10.5" iPad Pro, iPhone 8, iPhone 11, iPhone 12 Mini, Numerous iPods, Monterey
That and Disk Inventory X are nice - especially since they're free. But I have to agree with cw107, Whatsize is more informative. Since it's only $12.99 to register, it's certainly a bargain.

Personally, I like and use "muCommander" a small Norton Commander like file manager for OS X. It takes a bit more navigation and "hunting" around to find various file info and size, but it provides a wealth of information that the others do not. And, it's an excellent file manager.

muCommander (Freeware)

Regards.

Reaction score
Your Mac's Specs
12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
Or you could just open your hard disk, switch to List view, open View Options, and check the "Calculate all sizes" button.

No pretty graphs, but it's quicker than downloading something.

Shop Amazon

Shop for your Apple, Mac, iPhone and other computer products on Amazon.
We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon and affiliated sites.